3D Printing Paint issue with 3D printed

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am building a kit that has some 3D printed parts. After build, I sprayed on some Rustoleum filler/primer, and the later used some Rustoleum 2X paint. For some reason the paint won't cure. The primer seems OK, just the top coat won't dry. All of the other sections (cardboard tubes/balsa fins) cured fine. It is only the paint on 3D printed part.
By not curing, I mean if I touch it I get "wet" paint on my fingers - and it has been a week since I painted!
Anyone else ever have this issue?

I have no clue what filament was used by the kit manufacturer....

Interesting situation, the primer was okay, and Rusto Filler Primer is a lacquer iirc so the solvent is pretty hot, but the 2x is an acrylic iirc. Waiting to see if anyone has any answers, my experience is that usually the primer causes a problem with the plastic not the topcoat especially if the topcoat uses a "cooler" solvent than the primer.

I’ve shot this same combination over ABS and PLA without issues. Not had any experience with resin parts. Can you contact the part supplier and ask the same question and post their response?
If you can find out the exact material you could also contact Rustoleum and see if they could offer any advice. I’d be interested in knowing if this is a problem to be aware of with certain materials.

Resin parts often need cured longer before painting. I do not own a printer for resin parts, but this is what I have read.

If it is indeed a resin part perhaps there was an issue with the printer where it didn’t have the correct exposure from the UV light to cure properly. I thought the resin used would only cure with UV exposure? Maybe setting it in sunlight would have cured it more?
Again I have no real experience with resin prints so don’t take this as advice, just theorizing.
Maybe somebody with actual experience will address this?

What kind of resin printer was it? I print in a variety of resins and I haven't run into a problem yet. It sounds more like the paint might be the issue. Once the primer coat is on, there shouldn't be any interaction with materials laid down after.

If it is indeed a resin part perhaps there was an issue with the printer where it didn’t have the correct exposure from the UV light to cure properly. I thought the resin used would only cure with UV exposure? Maybe setting it in sunlight would have cured it more?
Again I have no real experience with resin prints so don’t take this as advice, just theorizing.
Maybe somebody with actual experience will address this?

I don't have a resin printer but know people that do and they leave all their stuff to cure fully in direct sunlight after doing the wash procedure.

Back