Paint Compatibility?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I'm putting the primer on my PSII Nike Smoke today. The primer will be Rustoleum 2in1 sandable filler primer. The white will be Rustoleum Stops Rust gloss white. The only accurate colors I can find for the fins is Testors paint.

Has anyone ever tried putting Testors on top of the classic Rustoleum. Any compatibility issues? What about Tamiya?

Good to ask. Barring a reply from anyone who's done it, you can always do a little test piece. Shoot the primer, let is dry for a few days and then shoot the color.
Even with compatible paints, be sure to follow the instructions. I failed to do that one time with two compatible paints and failed to read the instructions that if one
didn't shoot another coat in 20 minutes or so, it was best to let it dry for at least 24 hours before applying another laying. I didn't do that and got some pretty bad
blistering.

Well most of my experience with paints has been that if you let it dry for 5-7 days, most paints become compatible. That is assuming that they are basically the same paint, i.e. both are acrylic enamel, both lacquer, etc. I have seen paint crack or wrinkle when that aren't the same base even when one was sprayed months after the other had dried. I believe that was acrylic over lacquer in that instance.

Depends on the Testors paint; Testors makes both enamel and lacquer. If you're talking about the little glass bottles of Testors paint, I think those are all enamel in which case you should be okay.

I believe that was acrylic over lacquer in that instance.

I would bet it was lacquer over acrylic. Lacquer has the "hotter" solvent as the thinner. Lacquer usually causes issues over non catalyzed enamels or acrylics.
Greg

I would bet it was lacquer over acrylic. Lacquer has the "hotter" solvent as the thinner. Lacquer usually causes issues over non catalyzed enamels or acrylics.
Greg

Very well may be. I just seem to recall it was acrylic and lacquer that was involved.

But what about Testors enamel over the Rustoleum? As long as the Rustoleum is long dry, would any of you expect issues?

Greg

???
Just about every paint that you are likely to use on a rocket is acrylic. Either acrylic enamel, acrylic lacquer, or water-based acrylic.

Some people do use catalyzed urethane enamel on rockets, which is not an acrylic, but I wouldn't recommend it because it is very toxic and hazardous to work with.

???
Just about every paint that you are likely to use on a rocket is acrylic. Either acrylic enamel, acrylic lacquer, or water-based acrylic.

Some people do use catalyzed urethane enamel on rockets, which is not an acrylic, but I wouldn't recommend it because it is very toxic and hazardous to work with.
Wasn't recommending it, although I have been using it for years and yeah I do use the proper breathing and safety equipment. With the proper safety and protection it can't be beat but isocyinates are nothing to be taken lightly!
Greg

I've never had compatibility issues with Testors enamels over other brands of paint, enamel or lacquer.. I use Rustoleum, Krylon, Valspar, Duplicolor, and probably a few house brands like Walmart's ( ColorPlace?). BUT, I always let main colors dry several days before overcoating with Testors.

Wasn't recommending it, although I have been using it for years and yeah I do use the proper breathing and safety equipment. With the proper safety and protection it can't be beat but isocyinates are nothing to be taken lightly!
Greg
Sorry saw reply on my phone and replied, wasn't directed to me. My reply was not required.
To many devices keeping me connected constantly, shouldn't have replied as I did:facepalm:

I've never had compatibility issues with Testors enamels over other brands of paint, enamel or lacquer.. I use Rustoleum, Krylon, Valspar, Duplicolor, and probably a few house brands like Walmart's ( ColorPlace?). BUT, I always let main colors dry several days before overcoating with Testors.

That's what I needed to confirm. I can only find the actual fin colors needed in Testors. Just wanted to confirm it was safe.

I have had sucess even using lacquer over enamel by waiting a week for the enamel to cure and building the lacquer color up in mist coats. When doing the lacquer, the mist coats are very light and I give them 5 min or so in between. When I get complete coverage I let it cure for an hour or so and spray a light coat which I let cure for 24 hrs or more, depending on the sniff test, and then a second light coat after the first has cured. This then cures for a week before a slightly heavier coat. This does not always work but it works often enough for me to stay with it if that is what I need to do.

I don't know which Testors colors you are considering but I find that their lacquers are not quite as hot as others.

Back