Paint Adhesion Problem --- Advice needed!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyBarbarian

Reaction score
I am repainting a rocket and having problems with the primer adhering. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I originally primed the rocket with Rustoleum Filler Primer and then top coated it with the Rustoleum Bright Coat Metallic Chrome. It looked great but the paint was not durable and was constantly getting damaged and picking up finger prints. And then the rocket itself got damaged and need a repair, so I decided not to repaint it in the same problematic paint.

I did my repairs and then sanded the chrome paint off. This stuff was a real pain to sand! The dust had an almost sticky feel to it even after it had cured for 2 weeks in hot, dry conditions. The sticky dust fouled the paper immediately, so I went through a lot of sandpaper. Also, as soon as the sandpaper touched the paint, any scratches in the chrome finish looked the same gray as the primer underneath it, so it was very hard to tell if I had sanded down to the primer layer or if I was still in the chrome layer. And finally, in the area of the fin fillets, the paint did not seem to want to sand at all. These are not big round fillets, so just getting the paper into the sharp corner is a bit of a pain, but it also seemed like the paint was just tougher in that area. There were a few spots where I could still see the chrome, but they were very small.

I decided to use a primer that I have used before on glossy surfaces roughed up with sandpaper --- Zinsser Bulls Eye 1.2.3 Primer For All Surfaces. It worked OK everywhere except for in the fillet area where it left what looked like a narrow crack right in the fillet area where it had been hardest to sand. I guess the primer pulled away from the chrome paint that was left in that area. I let everything dry overnight and sanded it smooth, then shot it all with a fresh layer of Rustoleum Filler Primer to try to fill the "crack" in the fillets.

Now it looks like it is kind of bubbling up in that fillet area! Anyone have any suggestions? I'm planning on sanding out the bad spot and hitting it again with a primer, but does anyone have any suggestions on a product that can really stick to anything? Is there anything else I can do? I am running out of time on this rocket!

Your going to hate my idea--just a heads up !! Moist sand everything down--not wet sand . A sanding sponge can be had at a good art store or hobby town--something around 400 grit is good. After you have sanded the rocket down , spray a coat of gloss paint over it. Any color will do but I use gray. Spray lightly !!!---SO IT DON'T BUST UP--- first a couple dry coats and a day later lay down one light gloss coat---UM KAY---DON'T worry about a nice even glossy ,go to show finish. Just get it covered. Next re-moist sand---GIVE IT A WEEK--- just to get it smooth-- and then apply your preferred color. Metallics don't like stuff sticking to them--except finger prints---Gloss paints will tend to melt into them---Warning-----rusto paints work best for this but it can go bad fast if you over apply--hell, ya gotta learn or try some time. If it goes bad for ya---we'll just keep banging away at it till we get it right.--H

As much as I'm loth to advocate nasty chemicals, most rattle can paints and primers can be wiped off with acetone. Just be sure to wear a respirator, or at least work outdoors.

I agree with using chems. I have some graffiti removing wipes. They remove anything. Start fresh!

I like their idea better than mine !! I don't do it because of the mess but it is a better choice---from a certain point of view.---H

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. Probably the acetone would be the best option, but I decided I don't really have time to learn a completely new technique and also I wasn't sure how long everything would take to dry again and be ready for new primer and then paint. I am trying to get the rocket for a launch I will be leaving for on Friday.

So I used an exacto to cut away the bubbled up paint from the affected areas in the filleted joints. I wanted to see what layer of paint had lost adhesion --- did the Zinsser primer pull away from the sanded metalic layer, or did the Rusto primer pull away from the Zinsser? It looks like the Zinser did not adhere well to the sanded metallic beneath it, and the tension of having the Rosto on top caused the Zinsser to pull lose from the layer below and peel up. Everwhere else it seems like everything is sticking the way it is supposed to.

I sanded the affected areas down deeper than I had the first time and reshot it with filler primer. It isn't perfect, but it doesn't seem to be bubbling up and losing adhesion. The main issue now is that there is a visible line right where I cut away the bubbled up material. I sanded it enough that I don't thing there is a real "step" there. So maybe there is a tiny line of the old metallic right at that point and the primer is having trouble sticking to it right where the new sanded area meets the primer layer I did not remove. It is probably a very thin line of poor adhesion, but least it is not a big bubble. I think I'm just going too have to sand what I have tomorrow, spray on the new color coat and live with it. I'm running out of time for messing with this.

It's too bad, because I had a pretty ambitious and detailed paint job planned for this rocket, but time has gotten away from me, and now I just want it done. I'm spraying on a simple paints job and calling it done. I feel like I've sanded and painted and sanded and painted this rocket a thousand times...

Only a thousand times---???? And there's your problem. Two to three thousand times is a minimum. I find it's best to have no life outside of painting rockets to get it right !! When you are friendless, petless, and homeless, you have found the sweet spot of rocketry painting.

Only a thousand times---???? And there's your problem. Two to three thousand times is a minimum. I find it's best to have no life outside of painting rockets to get it right !! When you are friendless, petless, and homeless, you have found the sweet spot of rocketry painting.

True story, bro. I go days without seeing my kids. (Not really)

Ok, I'll paint and sand it 2 thousand times more, but THAT IS IT !!!

Back