Ozark Aerospace

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Opinions and information needed on the Telemetry / GPS add on for the Arts2. Anybody out there who has used it?

Chuck,
I bought one this year but have not had a chance to fly it yet. I have played with it on the ground and like the GPS. I had my neighbor take it for a ride on his quad (I had it mounted in a nose cone) and he went a little over a 1/2 mile and I never lost signal. I am hoping to give mine a flight in Oct/Nov.

Post you results. I have a feeling I have $800 burning a hole in my pocket.

Unless there's something specific about that setup that you're in love with, you might consider a BeeLine GPS and a Yaesu VX-8r radio. Yeah, it requires a ham license ($14 to take the test), but it'll cost you a similar amount and provide you with a lot more flexibility in the long run.

-Kevin

I disagree. Unless you mean that by size and it does fit in smaller areas.

No, I don't mean size when I say versatility.

A ham radio license has more use than just tracking rockets -- at a launch site, it beats the pants off of FRS or any other non-licensed radio, for field communications. Once you have the radio and yagi, you can also use it with conventional trackers when you're not flying with an altimeter.

On the other hand, the telemetry setup is usable for one thing, and one thing only -- telemetry from that unit.

-Kevin

My dad and I have one. We are going to fly it in my Sandhawk in Nov and Ill pot the data once that happens.

I have also ground tested and my dad got about 2 miles away before we lost him. I did open my window and set it on the roof so it was almost above the trees.

Ben

Back