Overkill is always good.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ActingLikeAKid

Reaction score
Working on my latest creation and the coupler was a slightly loose fit in the body. This coupler is what blows out at ejection, so it needs to be goldilocks-tight.

I know I could wrap masking tape around it, and that would probably work fine...
Gave a test piece a wrap of 6oz glass. If it's still loose, I'll give it another wrap. If it fits, great. If it's too tight, I'll sand it. And I should never have to think about this again.

I recently had an odd result when hardening a body tube. I first used wood sanding sealer, sanded it down smooth and then went back with CA glue. The CA glue only penetrated a little and then just kinda cured looking like a piece of glass. It was hard as well, I ended up needing a flapper wheel to sand it. Don't know if that would be an option or if the results would be the same. I haven't tried to duplicate the results.

You didn't mention what the coupler and BT was made of, but if it was LOC type tubing, using CA or epoxy thinned with alcohol to harden the ends and inside surface can build that up too. Not only would that make the coupler tighter, it would strengthen the BT. I found that out after hardening a BT and found the nose cone wouldn't fit any longer.

You didn't mention what the coupler and BT was made of, but if it was LOC type tubing, using CA or epoxy thinned with alcohol to harden the ends and inside surface can build that up too. Not only would that make the coupler tighter, it would strengthen the BT. I found that out after hardening a BT and found the nose cone wouldn't fit any longer.

Both are bluetube.

I test-fit with the (dry) glass and it fit snugly, so I think I'm in good shape. Also I glassed a bit of test coupler so if it's WAY too thick, I will have learned my lesson ;)

I'm glad YOU asked...I get the metaphor- has to be just right, but this phrasing conjures other imagery!!

Obviously I have been insufficiently caffienated of late. I'm usually the first in the room to see the possibilities for taking things inappropriately.

TO THE COFFEEPOT!

funny...just today I was watching goldie and bear with my kids. I stopped in my tracks when I heard the song they were singing...

Bear: " all you need's a friend!"
Goldie: "happy endings happen every single day!!!"
Bear"All you need's a Friend!!!!"

o_O

funny...just today I was watching goldie and bear with my kids. I stopped in my tracks when I heard the song they were singing...

Bear: " all you need's a friend!"
Goldie: "happy endings happen every single day!!!"
Bear"All you need's a Friend!!!!"

o_O

So.....pedobear has his own kid's show now? And Goldie has opened a massage parlor?

thoght about it, then down the rabbit hole of drilling and reinforcing holes, and having to add to my pre flight checklist , and since I'm only using motor eject....

You don't have to reinforce the holes for blue tube with nylon shear pins.

Update: Glass is dry and after a little sanding, the fit is slightly too snug,which is perfect. A little more sanding and it should be where I want it to be.

Back