Overbuilding

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was my point and the reason I asked the question.

I'm concerned about a "Rock It" airframe I built where I went crazy with the stone texture paint and clearcoat. I weighed it after reading this discussion and discovered it is clearly over the max limit weight limit. Sadly it appears to be destined for display duty only...a lesson learned.

Even if it's over the limit for Estes motors, you should be able to fly it on composites...

Let me re-phrase the question.

If a B6-2 has a max loft weight of 127 grams, why does a C6 of ANY delay and has a max lift weight of only 113 grams? In simple terms, why does a smaller motor have a higher max lift weight?

Well, if this data is accurate from wRASP, the C6 is the slight winner in the peak thrust category (and therefore, the max launch weight), but the B6 is a winner in that the motor weighs 20% less.

Greg

MtrCompare_b6_c6.jpg

MtrCompareXLS_b6_c6.jpg

A rocket with an all-up weight of 127 grams, flown on a B6-2 is "okay" because the recovery device will deploy before the rocket returns to Earth.
With a delay of 4 seconds (B6-4), the rocket is in the dirt about a second before the ejection charge goes off.

But, I think we are well into a new thread here...

Last edited:
Back