Output of Eggfinder

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdbwizzard

Reaction score
Does any one have a log file of the output data of the Eggfinder from a flight? I am working on an application but have got my eggfinder in the air yet to collect data.

Does any one have a log file of the output data of the Eggfinder from a flight? I am working on an application but have got my eggfinder in the air yet to collect data.

GPS Rocket Locator has the ability to log but I suspect a fair number of people just want to find their rocket and don't bother turning the switch on nor take the trouble looking for the
stored file.

It's akin to a lot of users of Beeline GPS trackers. They are interested in finding their rockets period and don't care about anything else. I've tracked other users BLGPS units on a laptop
and most don't bother the change the transmitted icon code. I see a lot of flying "houses" on APRS tracking software. I've queried others about downloading the stored .kml file
that has more positions saved than what can be pulled off the air via Rf and most don't bother. That's fine and they usually comment they simply want to be able to find the screamer rocket and don't care about anything else. Kurt

I've got a data file from a TelaGPS but can't figure out how to make a KLM file from it. I did not know the EggFinder could store a file. Or do you store it on the laptop? What if you use the receiver bluetoothed to a Droid? Can you save a file?

You can capture the NMEA data feed by using a terminal program to grab the output of the RX dongle or the LCD receiver, or use something like OpenLog to grab the data as it streams in. If you're pairing with Bluetooth to an Android or Windows device I would imagine you could save it to that too, but I haven't tried it.

PM me your email address and I'll send a NMEA file that I captured during some early Eggfinder testing (TRF's uploader doesn't like the file so I can't attach it here). It was from a LPR test so it didn't go very far, but it should be good enough to test your software.

There is a switch in the pulldown of the Android program "GPS Rocket Locator" to save a log. Whit, you might want to write Keith Packard about the options to convert the TeleGPS
to a .kml file. I believe there are some software solutions and maybe some online solutions that can do it for you.

Kurt

Google Earth will take a native NMEA file just fine, but there are also NMEA to KML converters around. I've tried a few, they seem to work.

Google Earth will take a native NMEA file just fine, but there are also NMEA to KML converters around. I've tried a few, they seem to work.

Your better off with the NMEA, there's a lot more data in there. Probably most important in the timing information, KML does not appear to include it.

You can capture the NMEA data feed by using a terminal program to grab the output of the RX dongle or the LCD receiver, or use something like OpenLog to grab the data as it streams in. If you're pairing with Bluetooth to an Android or Windows device I would imagine you could save it to that too, but I haven't tried it.

PM me your email address and I'll send a NMEA file that I captured during some early Eggfinder testing (TRF's uploader doesn't like the file so I can't attach it here). It was from a LPR test so it didn't go very far, but it should be good enough to test your software.

I would like to try to capture the NMEA sentences by just using my ham radio (VX-6R or Kenwood TM-D710 and no RX dongle or LCD receiver),
by feeding the audio in to my laptop and using some software to decode the NMEA sentences on the screen.
This is how I do it with my GPS transmitters that send APRS and I receive it with my ham radio and feed the
audio into my laptop that uses MIXW software to decode the APRS on the screen.
Anyone know how to do do this with NMEA transmissions? I have heard of Spectrum Labs software but
I cannot figure out how to configure the sound card with the audio input.:(

-John

I would like to try to capture the NMEA sentences by just using my ham radio (VX-6R or Kenwood TM-D710 and no RX dongle or LCD receiver),
by feeding the audio in to my laptop and using some software to decode the NMEA sentences on the screen.
This is how I do it with my GPS transmitters that send APRS and I receive it with my ham radio and feed the
audio into my laptop that uses MIXW software to decode the APRS on the screen.
Anyone know how to do do this with NMEA transmissions? I have heard of Spectrum Labs software but
I cannot figure out how to configure the sound card with the audio input.:(

-John

Won't work with those rigs above. The EggFinder is on 33cm/ISM/900Mhz band. It's not just simple FM. Here are the specs: https://www.hoperf.com/data_link/HM-TRPW.html
Now if you can capture the NMEA strings and pipe them to the GPS port on the D710 you "could" have it transmit the stuff coming in as an APRS packet but I don't know what
purpose that would serve. The modulation protocol is not available to you with those rigs.

A receive dongle isn't going to work unless you can code for software that will decode the strings. Your D710 and VX6r I believe only do FM and not the modulation required (FSK modulation, 2-way half –duplex communication).
They are broad band receive but I don't know how that would help.

The easy way is pipe the NMEA strings coming off an EggFinder receiver or LCD receiver and call it a day. Cris has already done the work and no need to re-invent the wheel.
I did use one of those SDR dongles on a laptop and gee whiz one can "see" a spectrum on the screen but that's about all it does. I did use GQRX one time to find the frequency of an EggFinder
I forgot what I set it at. Helped with the Frequency but not with the sequence number. Narrowed down the job. Kurt

Back