Our recent builds

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prowlerguy

Reaction score
Here is my son Ben's Bullpup. He chose this color because we have a rule in my house: If you select a model that another family member has done, you must do something different with it (color, engine mounts, kitbash, etc). I think it looks pretty sharp.

My Stormcaster. I modded the engine mount to accept E engines and built a baffle system based on the stock stuffer tube. This was also my first attempt at making my own decals on an inkjet.

The baffle parts. I used a piece of scrap balsa, a fishing leader, and a coupler. Oh, and a fair amount of epoxy.

My son Chris' Firebird. It's his first scratchbuilt. He used the plastic fincan from my Designer's Pack, but it still was not a kit.

My Stretch-Ray. It is a rebuilt X-Ray, with an extended body tube and a booster stage.

Prowler,

Excellent photos man...you have some very cool models and each finish looks great! :)

Keep the pics coming.

Carl

Nice! They look great. By the way - looking at the pic of the Deuce - Bag of Bones is a great book!

Loopy

Prowler,

The birds look great!!! The Stormcaster decals came out pretty darn good. I'm getting ready to venture into the make your own decals world myself.

Fabulous work...

bmhiii

great looking birds, Prowlerguy!

What did you use to coat your decals? I've got a sheet of Microscale decal paper for color laser printers (of which we have one in the office). I know that I'll need to coat it before dipping in water...

bmhii and others:
Thanks for the comments. To be completely honest, the only decals I made are the "MEDIUM LIFT BOOSTER Mk1 Mod 0" seen in the first photo. The other smaller detail ones were from an Estes Shuttle decal set included with my Designer's Special. I added "Columbia" on the bottom as a small tribute to my friend Willie McCool. The roll pattern on the bottom and the gold foil at the top are trim monocote. I used the Testor's decal kit because I wasn't sure how good it would work, and that was a cheap way to find out. The small sheets are a pain to work with (and took forever to make flat), so next time I will go with full size sheets from one of the other vendors.

Jim:
The DW is Krylon (primer then coat after coat after coat) with trim monokote for the silver fin accents. I have officially given up on metallic paints, and resolve to use monokote for any shiny metal surfaces in the future. I also used black monokote to replicate the RTF look on my Stretch-Ray.

Loopy:
My wife's the King fan, not me.

Originally posted by graylensman
great looking birds, Prowlerguy!

What did you use to coat your decals? I've got a sheet of Microscale decal paper for color laser printers (of which we have one in the office). I know that I'll need to coat it before dipping in water...
I used the included Testor's spray sealer, but I believe I have read that Krylon clear coat works well.

Back