OTRFA...at it again

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stones

Reaction score
It was another good day for flying for The OTRFA (Oshkosh chapter of the Rocketry Forum Association) here in WI on Saturday. I put in a full 8 hour day being the LCO (I guess that's what you are when you bring all the equipment). ;)
Started loading the truck at 8 a.m. and it was almost 5:30 p.m. before I got it all put back away. And this was a local launch!
The winds were a little stronger than what was forecasted but, we made due. I'd say we had about 50 flights from the biggest turnout yet, with flyers and spectators, alike. Plenty of BP was burned and a fair share of AP too.
Notable flights included:
Kermie's Deltee Thunder boost glider on a D12(?). Nice slow boost with seperation just over the top. Kermie had the glider trimmed perfect as it looked like it would fly with the wind all day and made a gentle soft landing to applause from the crowd. Very nice Kerm!
Kermie also flew his Moostang on a motor I too am very impressed with, the F25. Warps the 'stang off the pad and a 3 second burn to boot. Real crowd pleaser.
Dave (owner of Sirius Rocketry) had a fair share of flights. His Mean Machine on F12 blackjack reloads were nice slow boosts. Another 3 second burn motor. He had a few in the crowd interested in some kits he sells for some guy named Jim...Fliskits I believe the company is called. ;)
The local sherriff stopped by (he's out there usually everytime we fly now) and stated that we "have quite an event going on here". He stayed for a couple flights and left us to our "event". Nice to have the local "law" "on your side" for a change.
My bigger flights included:
Executioner on F12 reloads. This was my first launch using rms vs. Econos. I can't say that blackjack propellant cleanup is one of my favorite things but, the 3 second burn times are nice. The Warthog went up on a F39 reload. Must of had a weak ejection charge as it barely got the NC off and about a foot of the 10' shockcord out of the BT. I "talked" the chute out for what seemed like an eternity and it finally did at about 300' to the applause of the crowd. Looked alot like a dual stage "drogueless" recovery. Was a heart stopper there for a second!
The AstrobeeD on a G35. Got to use the homebuilt railpad for this one, which worked like a charm. Nice loud boost and a perfect dual recovery. Being the ground was a little soggy here yet, not even a single scratch on the fins or NC. Wish they were all like that.;)
My flight for the day. The scratchbuilt 4" Phoenix on a G80. Very impressive looking sitting on the pad and even better lifting off on the blue thunder propellant. Loud to say the least! Must have either been the leftover propellant burning off or possibly the delay but, there was a heck of a glow under that bird just before it hit apogee. I thought maybe it caught on fire but, she rolled over and popped the 40" chute and started it's way back down. Up to this point everything I flew had been blessed with great flights and recoverys. The rocket gods didn't allow that on this last flight. With all the field we have there is a fair amount of road surface and ponds to deal with as well. I talked it away from it's demise in the pond but, those fins that are notorious on any Phoenix scale, to damage, succumbed to the the last 6" of a roadway and took off about a 1/2" from 2 of the fins. The good news is, it's all repairable and the Phoenix WILL fly again.
I literally did not have time to take pics (easy now guys) but, I should be getting some great video from 2 to 3 cameras that were documenting the bigger flights. I'll post pics and video when its available.
Anyways, all in all, a real good day of flying and met some new flyers and fans of rocketry on top of it. Hope all your launches go as well. :)

Guess I did get one pic of the Phoenix out on the pad. Just in case it didn't make it back. :rolleyes:

Here's a pic of the Phoenix damage. I'm working on several different fixes for it.

Originally posted by Martin Vrstal
New fins for the Phoenix?
I'm thinking more on the lines of removing the last 1" or so off the bottom of the fins and put in some fresh basswood TTW and possibly a light coat of finishing epoxy for strength. Also, a coupler ring in the bottom up to the CR. I think she would have held up just fine in the grass but, you know how they seek out the hardest surface they can find. ;)

One of the group got decent pics of some of the flights.
Tnx Shannon!

Dave's original MarsLander, (quite a few years on it) boosting.

IIRC, this is Dave's son's scratchbuilt creation. Good sized rocket.

Kermie's Moostang. Boosting on an F25. Gotta get some of these!

On the chutes. The antenna stalks snagged the lower airframe shockcord and they came down together...

Quick note on David's Mars Lander. I can't believe he still flies this thing. I'd hate to see what it would cost to replace! :eek:

The flight on Sat. was a perfect example. The 20 year old shock cord finally gave on him and the body fell from altitude unassisted. I'm surprised David's heart is still beating after that! However, the thing landed perfectly on its landing gear with zero damage.

I had a wedding to get ready for, so I was only able to attend long enough to get my 2 flights off. I was 100% sure the Deltie Thunder was going to have something go wrong (I'm Murphy's best customer), but the only problem I had was some heat damage to the chute due to the enthusiastic D12 ejection charge (David--I'll need another 12" chute). I couldn't believe how nice that thing flies!!

...I am always hesitant to fly an original Mars Lander, and that one is OLD! I knew someday that old rubber shock cord would give way, and I had a feeling, but I pulled on it just before flight and it held. My heart did stop for a second when it separated, and I thought it might suffer some damage, but was AMAZED when the lander fell from altitude and landed in the soft grass, and even better yet, landed UPRIGHT with no damage. Although as bulky as the Mars Lander is, I did notice that it was pretty draggy in free fall, and the springy legs saved the thing.

A new shock cord, and it will fly again!

I know it is a classic, but heck, if you can't fly the classics once in a while, what fun is that?

My son Chris's scratchbuilt design flew really nice on that F-12 reload, and that marked the biggest motor he's flown outside of a C. Of course I put the reload together, but he took care of everything else, and his design made a great flight. In fact, he flew more impulse and flights than I did, and we both had fun!

Can't wait till next time!

Dave

Stones, did you ever think of some carbon-fiber reinforcement for the phoenix rear fins? You can grab some CF sheet at Hobbytown, it is light, and strong as heck (a little composite construction....). I used carbon fiber in certain areas of my old USS Atlantis, and it is strong, yet light! If you plan on flying it again like you did this weekend on the G's, the very small weight penalty would be very negligible!

Kermie, if you need another chute, let me know! Love the cow rocket! All you folks who don't live here just gotta be in WI to really understand the significance of the paint job.... Yet I never figured it out because California tops us in dairy production!

Thanks again Stones for heading up some cool local launches!

Dave

Glad you enjoyed the launch Dave. Hey, that's what we're all in this for, right? ;)
We have some bi-directional cf at work I could use but, it's some perty heavy stuff. I'll check out what HT as to offer. I could peice in the broken sections with basswood and cf/epoxy over the entire fins, which should get 'em a little more strength. Fear not, she'll be goin for some more "rides". The G80 got 'er off the pad in short order but, I want to see it on good 'ol G64WL load. :D

Originally posted by Stones
Glad you enjoyed the launch Dave. Hey, that's what we're all in this for, right? ;)
We have some bi-directional cf at work I could use but, it's some perty heavy stuff. I'll check out what HT as to offer. I could peice in the broken sections with basswood and cf/epoxy over the entire fins, which should get 'em a little more strength. Fear not, she'll be goin for some more "rides". The G80 got 'er off the pad in short order but, I want to see it on good 'ol G64WL load. :D

I certainly did enjoy the launch, it is nice that you organize something close to home for me! I had often thought about County park, but until you all sent me an invite last year, that was all I had ever done. We have had a great time at the two informal launches that we came to, and I had a blast last Saturday. With the couple of years I was swamped at work, it sure is nice to get to some regular flying again. I just realize I have to BUILD some more, because most of my stuff is retired and on display in my basement!!!!! :)

And all the pics are great! Hope the Phoenix is not too hard to repair, but the damage was minor, and you give the models a great finish!

Back to vacuforming!

BTW, do you have a list of the OTRFA folk?

Dave

Originally posted by Sirius Rocketry
BTW, do you have a list of the OTRFA folk?

Dave
Dave...
Check the mailing I did for the launch this last weekend. You should have all the members, to date, listed in the to: section. If not, I can mail you over the list.

Finally got some video put together.
Here's one of the Phoenix going up on a G80. You can just catch the blue thunder propellant flame on liftoff.

4" Phoenix on a G80

Back