OTRFA...at it again...AGAIN!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirius Rocketry

For the Serious Rocketeer
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Stones, Kermie, and gang, thanks for some fun and rocket talk again today! A nice day for launching! Thought I would post some of the better pictures.... Did KermieD ever find the Cow Rocket after the second G flight?

First Up Kermie's Deltie Thunder on a D-12 for a nice boost and BEAUTIFUL glide.

KermieD and friends in this shot. A Nice Aerotech Arreaux getting ready to go.....

and really go! They DID have a habit of flying right into the sun today!

Kermie's cow rocket full up with a White Lightning g-40! Nice and high!

Really high and fast! Nice light bird on a G40 and it was out of there fast.

Next up, Kermie put the Cow Rocket up on a G-80. Blue Thunder kicks that one up FAAAAAAAAAAST! Bout the same altitiude as the G40, but a much faster kick and she was up there! He was still looking for it when I left.

Kermies second Deltie Thunder flight was not so gracious. It is a little large and heavy, I was not sure an E9 would quite do the trick but Kermie is a trooper. I don't know exactly what happened but it went into cruise missile mode on its second flight and, um, re-kitted. Quote of the day....Kermie Sez, "well at least I have plenty of balsa finstock!"

I am sure everyone else there will chime in on today, I just wanted to post the pix before I forgot, and thanks Dan for the setup and the launch! Had fun as always!

Dave

I never did recover the MOOstang. That's okay though. It's a truly fitting fate for the rocket I made in homage to Phil. I really didn't expect to get it back from the G40 launch, but when we did, it was time to do it for real. ;)

On the 2nd Deltie Thunder flight, I shouldn't have put the bird on the UPwind side of the rods. I think it hung on the other 2 rods I use to keep the rocket from twisting. It was pretty spectacular though!! It's not repairable, so I'll be ordering another one. I think if I want E power, I'll do E-30s.

Originally posted by KermieD
I never did recover the MOOstang. That's okay though. It's a truly fitting fate for the rocket I made in homage to Phil. I really didn't expect to get it back from the G40 launch, but when we did, it was time to do it for real. ;)

On the 2nd Deltie Thunder flight, I shouldn't have put the bird on the UPwind side of the rods. I think it hung on the other 2 rods I use to keep the rocket from twisting. It was pretty spectacular though!! It's not repairable, so I'll be ordering another one. I think if I want E power, I'll do E-30s.

MOOSTANG! That is what it was! Sorry about the Cow Quote!

Sorry you could not find that, I had a feeling it went way farther than it looked!

Deltie #2:

Yes, it was pretty spectacular, I was hoping for a cruise missile and a little lift when it started going downwind. The re-kit thing was dissappointing, but I loved what you said about having plenty of finstock! True rocketeer fashion there! And that IS some quality finstock in that kit!!!!!!!!

And if anything, this little OTRFA group we have going is great! It is real fun to lauch with all of you! It is like a TRF section!Although I only made two flights, that is not what I really come there for, it is good people and some fun conversation!! Evie and I want to do an OTRFA BBQ before the summer is out, so maybe in August sometime we might plan on flying during the day and then eating and schmoozing at night. Whadda think Stones? Kermie?

It was also nice meeting new people, and throwing out some freebies. Did not sell a thing, but I had to laugh some time ago when (I think it was Stones) someone said "we even have our very own vendor at our launches!"

I just enjoy spreading the fun and creativity.

And to all: those decals are waterslide! None of that Peel and stick stuff for us!

Enjoy!

Dave

MOOSTANG! That is what it was! Sorry about the Cow Quote!

Sorry you could not find that, I had a feeling it went way farther than it looked!

And I just remembered, you were TRYING to lose that thing!

GOOD JOB!

Probably landed right in the middle of the Christian Rock festival going on. Guitar riff, everyone looking at the bigscreen, and there it comes! (I know that it not where it went, but the thought was funny to me!) Man that thing was gone on the G-80 though! Zip! I am used to heavier things on high power motors with lobs, in fact I think my G-motor things were heavy 4" Archers and such. J's and K's multi pound lobs. But it is cool to see a small bird under lotsa power. And that sucker was outta there, I barely caught the smoke trail!

And you REALLY wanted to lose that thing?????

Good job! :)\

It wasn't so much that I wanted to lose it as it was that I didn't mind it if I did lose it. It's really the only mid powered bird I have built and I figured I wouldn't be launching much for a while, so I said "let's pull a Phil Gerringer and see if we can make a donation to the Rocket Gods."

Oh, by the way...my offer was accepted!!! I'm going to be a homeowner!

Congrats on your new digs Jon! Welcome to the world of property taxes. ;)
Always fun to get together with the gang out to county park. Too bad about the Delta. I think it's like you said though. The two "helper" rods being on the downwind side were hindering the boost phase a tad too much for the E9. She sure could glide. Hope you do up another one, if ya get a chance.
I spent some time today trying to track down some ss clips for the launcher. No luck and for some reason, McMaster's site is down. I'll come up with something so hook ups go a little easier. Dave, those decal sheets are prestine! Of course, now I have to grab an Outlander. Someone let me know when HL has their next 1/2 off sale. ;)

CONGRATS JON!

I'll Mirror what Stones Said: Welcome to the land of property taxes! However all the homeowner interest up front will make your income tax refund a little larger. Do yourself a favor and take enough of your refund and make an additional house payment to principal only and knock down the principal (since so pay so much interest and so very little principal up front. ) It will knock years off your mortgage over time! Congrats!

Stones, glad you liked the sheets! More of that to come as I sit down with the vector graphics stuff. If there is something you think would be a good idea let me know, always looking for something else to play with!

Latest posts

Back