Others who like Plastic Model Conversion?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by Micromister
Super Job kkooch!

Thanks!

>Did you get any pics of the flight?

Unfortunately no. It was just me pushing the button on the launch controller with some elk grazing in the background here in Colorado. There is nothing like watching a model that seemingly should arc into the ground, track nice and straight into the sky.
And then return under two parachutes.

Cleaned the ejection residue off, will be adding the final touches and it's off to the paint room...

>Hope to use the laser technique on a 1/144th clustered Micro->maxx f14 shortly.

Good luck! Please post your results.

Kevin Kuczek

PS...any posters going to Naram this year?

wscarvie:
I found the data chart for the Condor/special hobby V2/A4
overall the 1/72nd model is 7.625" long, .875" dia. C.P. 4.8125" with a C.G at 4.063" I had to add 9.8g of #9 shot. the model pictured has a rear ejection 13mm motor tube & hook that slides into a 14mm body tube. 2 - 8inch chutes are inserted, what shock cord and wadding than the motor mount Ewt. 38.0g L.O.wt. with A10-3t 47.9g flight to about 100feet.

To follow that up, Here's a pic of the Revell 1/54th V2 with the same type rear ejection set-up and the single 12" chute.
OAlength 8.0" dia 1.03125" Ewt: 51.3g Lowt:61.9g Nose wt added 15.75g

Originally posted by Micromister
I found the data chart for the Condor/special hobby V2/A4

Excellent! Thanks very much Micro. I'll be placing an order for the V2 and the A9 shortly.

Meanwhile my P(aper)MC version of the V-2 grew one fin last night. Just three more, some fillets and a bunch of detail to go. One month until its debut event...no problem. :)

wscarvie

Really sweet looking F-14 Kevin...excellent job!!! And yes, many of us are going to NARAM....I am going for the weekend + a few more.

Once again, nice conversion! :)

Carl

As part of an AIAA - Centennial of flight year long exhibit and Demo. I got to fly my recently completed and gold leafed 1/48 PMC LEM.
A10-3T, Great lift-off, and perfect flight...to about 20'.... then went unstable, popped the chute, but it didn't open, tumbled in, only damage was one foot pad and the ladder came off. needs just a touch of nose wt.
Heres the lift off pic

Awsome...that thing is cool...nice scale too.

it be interesting to see a scale flight of that...a motor with no sound and no smoke...

Heads Up all you PMC'ers

www.modelexpo-online.com is having a plastic model inventory reduction/Clearance sale.
There are some really Great deals to be had. Lindberg X3 stellito Airfix 144th Satrun-V's, Many 144th 1/72, 1/48th and 1/32 scale jet and space models.
Some of the Micro-Maxx convertable Heller and Airfix models are as low as $1.27 each...1/130th Heller X15 is $3.28ea. Special Hobbies 1/48th X-15 was 26.00 (Great D12 powered conversion). 1/72 Lunar Module (A10-3T) flyable for $2.99
Hope this helps

Gerbs:
It's the sale that's important to this post:) I only added the pic as an example of the 130th scale stuff

Hope all you PMC'er don't miss out on the BIG savings! Order now.. these models will not be restocked! and 2.02 for a 144th scale F104 is down right great. some or the other 144th scale jets are as low as $1.27ea Orion -Pan-Am space clipper for 4.99 WOW. 1/72 lunar module (A10-3T covertable) $2.99

thanks for the heads up Micro !!
I've had good service from model expo ..I need to stock up on some backyard flyers..any more good suggestions for pmc kits ?

I assume by back yard flyer, you are looking for low slow, and maybe micro stuff?
Just about all of the Airfix 144th scale single engine jets are MMX convertable.. I'm waiting for the F-104's to come in but if it is the size stated I think it's gonna be perfect for MMA 4.5" long and 2.25" wingspan:D the F14 Tomcat is also MMX-able with dual motors...straight duct ejections... I ordered an F16 but will have to see it.
If your looking for regular size PMC's, they have a huge number in the sale that are curtain to spark interest, 1/48th single motor migs. F16, F8e, F4's, and tons of euro jets. Heller, AirFix, and Special hobbies have a few Space related models on sale also 144th saturn-V (Excellent 5 C cluster model or 3 D12's,) 1/48th X-15 but still a bit pricey, 32nd Bell X-1 is micromaxxable but will only get about 8' on a MM-II motor on a CALM day:) Praise the .5 sec delay on that one:D:D:D LOL.... most of the Russian launch vehicle, and all the Ariane series are also good buys. The list could go on and on but it's what your looking for and how badly your better 1/2, in my case better 2/3rds is going to kill you went she see's 34 New plastic models come in:D HOO1 I'm gonna be in Trou-beLL LOL ducking!

Micro

Heh...I guess nearly anything can fly with the proper mods
and balancing

I took advantage of the model expo sale and picked up 6 new candidates for $20 including shipping..

I also checked out the pmc tips on the Huvars site ..thanks again for the info ! I'll be sure to post some pics soon

Originally posted by stymye
Micro

Heh...I guess nearly anything can fly with the proper mods
and balancing

Yeap!
I few years back a freind challanged me to make a tank fly, Pic below, I have in the past converted a battleship, sub and aircraft carrier. Wish I still had the Carrier is was pretty cool! So as you can see the field is pretty wide open:D I'm working on the Lindberg Lighthouse which will launch from it's Rocky island perch, should make for an interesting launch:) I also picked up a batch of 1/72nd Centurion,Sherman, and Tiger-I' s for our Octoberfest..V-2 day launch...Tank drag race:D LOL should be neat if I get them all done...

This thread has been pretty quiet for awhile...
Here's 2 more conversions for your viewing pleasure.
Attached will be 1:144th F-104G starfighter set up for Micro-maxx motors. Wheels out, with sidewinder missles. Pic is a composite Sorta construction page. I forgot to take any of the beginning shots..Sorry... a good amout of internal plastic is removed to align the .281" body with a mototool. I'm planning a wheels up "Nasa" 3 color model in the near future, I'll try to remember to take pics of the internals:) if you need a better look at the finished model less decals I posted some in the scratch built section.

Hellers 144th F16XL fighting falcon was a suprisingly easy conversion for micro-maxx. heres a lettle better construction page. Still didn't take a pic of the tube in the body half:(

Actually, the 'XL' was never officially designated as the E model. We are currently still officially building only C and D models.

We all thought we had a winner, and that the XL would win. (It out-performed the F-15E at about half the cost) We all had our fingers crossed. But politics decides more of these things than anyone cares to admit. So, it will remain forever, the F-16XL.

I really want to buid a Energia-Buran model and then convert it, but the only one I can find right now is on Ebay, its only $7.99, but it was made in Russia and everything is in Russian.

Are there any Energia-Buran models that are made in an English speaking country so I will be able to read the instructions?

Originally posted by gladiator1332
I really want to buid a Energia-Buran model and then convert it, but the only one I can find right now is on Ebay, its only $7.99, but it was made in Russia and everything is in Russian.

Are there any Energia-Buran models that are made in an English speaking country so I will be able to read the instructions?

Gladiator -

If you're referring to the one made by STC-Start (it's the only Russian-made 1/288 Buran that I'm aware of) - this model is extremely easy to build, and the instructions, while in Russian, are accompanied by a pictograph which clearly explains how it goes together.

This kit is "fair" in terms of detail, fit and finish. However, it is a good deal for the price, and produces a decent looking finished model.

Now, as to whether it would make a decent PMC? I don't know. Keep in mind it's SMALL. You could conceivably drill out the bottom of the Energiya core stage, and put a 13mm or possibly even 18mm motor mount in there. The model weighs 2.5 ounces according to my scale. Add a little additional mass for the recovery system, and plastic fins for stability, and possibly nose weight. An A10-3T might do the trick. An 18mm motor mount might fit o.k., I wouldn't go beyond "B" though, as a "C" would probably tear it apart. The booster and orbiter are merely "contact" glued at small attach points - there's not much surface area holding them together. You could reinforce this by drilling and pinning with some brass rod, though.

Another consideration - the axial CG isn't in the center of the core stage. You'd have to "guestimate" at the right thrust offset angle to counteract the off-CG thrust. Otherwise, your PMC is going to perform some interesting aerobatics once it leaves the rod.:D

These caveats aside, I think it would be an interesting project. Go for it!

Well this one is added to my long list of stuff-to-do. I had a shuttle and Enrgia-Buran project planned using nomal rocket parts, but I am deffinatley going to go for the plastic-conversion for Energia-Buran, and I think a while back I saw a complete STS model rocket on Ebay.

Hi all,

Just another data point for you all. The Energia main body will readily accept an 18mm engine tube. In fact, the inside diameter of the main body is ALMOST exactly the right size to accept a standard BT20-to-BT50 centering ring. Pull off one layer of paper from the outside of these rings and they fit perfectly.

The booster pods have an outside diameter of almost exactly 13mm, so won't take a mini motor. They could be made to take MicroMaxx motors easily, if you want to get that little extra realism and mission points for clustering.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by wscarvie
Hi all,

Just another data point for you all. The Energia main body will readily accept an 18mm engine tube. In fact, the inside diameter of the main body is ALMOST exactly the right size to accept a standard BT20-to-BT50 centering ring. Pull off one layer of paper from the outside of these rings and they fit perfectly.

The booster pods have an outside diameter of almost exactly 13mm, so won't take a mini motor. They could be made to take MicroMaxx motors easily, if you want to get that little extra realism and mission points for clustering.

Hope this helps.

Sounds like you've done this already then?

Any photos you can share with us? This has got me eyeballing my own Buran.... and that razor saw up on the shelf.... :)

Will:
If the ID of the boosters is "almost exactly 13mm" I'd think a dremel with a 1/2" drum sander and/or large burr cutter will fix that problem pronto. Still: with no A10-0 certified for competition it may not do any good unless you could use a couple A3-4t's vented into the main for more cluster points:D I'd used the 4 second delay motor to ensure the Core 3 second delay motor ejects first.
Speaking of grinding out inside PMC's. Most all plastic models are molded fairly heavy. sanding /grinding out a lot of the inside plastic is a good way to reduce "some" of the weight and also helps in alignments in aircraft that may seem to have an off set thrust line, F16's are good examples. Any of you working on the 144th F104 will absouletely have to do some major I.D plastic removal to get a body tube in and aligned. Dual motor models like F14 and F15's can also benefit from some internal scooping out.

How about using the new plugged mini engines for the Blurzz rocket cars in the strap ons? You'd get more kick at liftoff and not have to worry about venting the ejection charge.
Drew Tomko

Back