OT: Places to vist in the US

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aww, look north!

Come to Canada, we're cheaper, and we are one of your 'last' dominions! (C'mon, we still have teh Queen on most of our money!)

No, seriously, some have posted some really really good suggestions. But whatever you choose, make sure you rent a car!

Fly to Calgary, then drive to Vancouver. Nothing beats teh Canadian rockies. Well, teh french Alps maybe!! :D And not to mention Banff & Jasper national parks..

Head down to Arizona, and drive around teh dessert & Canyon. Also maybe take in the 'Burning man' event (you sound young enough!)

But it does depend on what you want to do / see / acomplish! North America has some history, and some amazing places, not to mention vast stretches of nature.

Originally posted by Mike
Some friends and I are planning to go away next summer. At the moment we're looking at places to go (Paris, Barcelona etc.)

Anyway one possibility would be a trip to the States, the flights are more expensive so we'd have to make it worth it. So what would you guys say are the best things to see and do?

I expect any rocketry is out of the question because I'd be with friends (maybe some girls too :) ) who probably wouldn't like to spend a day stood in a field!

The places that people go to which are "the" places to go to are easily accessable.

The places that are more representative of the States as a place are the striking terrain:
Grand Canyon
Glacier National Monument
Yellowstone/Grand Tetons

A trip from Vancouver BC south along the coast through Seattle to Portland Oregon (plus a ways south of Portland) would provide three nice and interesting cities and plenty of unique terrain (rain forest, vinlands and beautiful coastline). This could be done with or without moderate hiking

A very striking and unusual tour would be Arizona & New Mexico:
Grand Canyon
Meteor Crater
Roswell NM
National Radio Astronomy Observatory (from "Contact")
Santa Fe (artists/gallery paradise) and surrounding area (centuries old cliff-dweller Native archeological sites)
Maybe even a trip up Tikaboo Peak to get a look at Area 51.
This would mean adding Las Vegas and region to your trip, and Las Vegas is certainly something to see, whether you're prone to enjoying the activities in a place like that, or want to be amazed at massive depravity with few negative consequences other than lots of money (depravity can be amusing too).
This, (as well as a trip to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons which are a week's trip themselves) would require more than casual, but only moderate distance and well planned path, hiking to enjoy.

If you're planning it when US universities are not in session, you might be able to rent rooms from some for a price closer to hostel prices than hotel rooms (especially if you're students).

A trip around the entire circumference of Florida could provide interesting terrain, historical stuff and the opportunity to do the off beat (a glass bottom boat from Key West out towards Cuba; a swamp boat drivien by airplane motor/propeller acrosss the Everglades), as well as provide access to the more commercial touristy things. And of course Kennedy Space Center, which everyone would get the historical benefit of, if not the sheer excitement you might.

Perhaps you'd have a happier trip if you all decided what your combined interests are and base your trip on that.

Having seen and enjoyed most of the terrain of the US and Canada, I'll say that my next trip to see interesting landscape will be to Middle Earth, which they tend to call new Zealand.

Originally posted by Dr Wogz
Aww, look north!

Come to Canada, we're cheaper, and we are one of your 'last' dominions!

Heck, the exchange rate is even good for folks in the US to go to Canada! (The Euro-US$ exchange rate ain't so hot right now for us on this side of the pond... :( )

I've been to Niagara Falls (the Canadian side) & Vancouver. Both cities were immaculately clean & everyone was very friendly. I have several Canadian friends & they've assured me that all points in between are equally as nice. I'd almost consider moving to Canada if it weren't so doggone cold there half/most of the year...

Mike,

Most of the other folks already covered any places I would have suggested. As you can see, the possibilities are endless here in the USA!

I had the pleasure of living in England for two years back the late 80's in East Anglia, Suffolk area. Loved it! Nice folks who always made me feel welcome! I saw many great sights and loved the countryside.

I was always amazed on how I could ride a bicycle on a "B" road and not get run over! Over here on a similar road you take your life in your hands :eek:

Those roundabouts in my old Mini were always fun!

-Kitch

One, Two, Five!!

As has been said, come to Canada. Come to the Rockies!! You'll never forget it. Go to Banff and Jasper in Alberta. They rock!!!

I've been to England and it rocks!!! I loved Stonehenge!!!

The stuff in the States rocks also!!! Go to the National Parks!!! Real cool!!!

Well, North Carolina and South Carolina (TINY parts) have awesome mountains. You will never see anything quite like it during the fall. My parents just like to drive up there just to see the "pretty" leaves falling. It is pretty cool if I do say so myself. Then we go to the Biltmore house (where Richie Rich was filmed) and take the tour. Pretty neat. You can also go camping and hiking which is fun. There are a few cool parks to visit around there too.

Originally posted by DynaSoar

A very striking and unusual tour would be Arizona & New Mexico:
Grand Canyon
Meteor Crater

Ah, the Holes in the Ground Tour.

In addition to the Grand Canyon and Meteor Crater, take in Carlsbad Caverns and the Titan Missile silo museum south of Tucson.

Summer (hot!) may not be a good time for doing this, but also check out Glen Canyon (Lake Powell) in Utah. Due to a long drought lasting several years, some outstanding scenary which had been underwater for a long time is again dry and visible. The near future may be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see some of this terrain.

Bill

Appalachian Autumn
Image taken from https://www.tjhsst.edu/~dhyatt/fall/fall7x.jpg
Don Hyatt

fall7x.jpg

Yo, Tarc3! That photo was probably cheating. How could anybody resist that?

In all seriousness, I would vote for any of the scenic locations here in North America. Our terrain and natural wonders have a different style than most European countries. Second choice would be historic sites. It's always cool to see famous places you learned about in history in school.

...and about the Barbeque in South Carolina. Most of the better barbeque joints will be buffet style and don't serve beer. Sheally's, in Batesburg-Leesville is hands-down the best. Better than Maurice's and none of Maurice's political bull to put up with.

Originally posted by Tarc3
Appalachian Autumn

It looks like a low humidity day which makes it way easier to shoot, especially takes away the 'muddiness' and makes for crisp contrast. Where did you take that pic?

Originally posted by Tarc3
Then there is Sticky Fingers.

Well then I'll have to attach to echolake.jpg

Photo by Chuck Rudy©2000 Use by permission only.

There's an idea we've been throwing around for a month or so now, it's starting to look like a plan now!

All being well in Summer '06 (need time to save money) we're going to fly to New York then spend 4+ weeks travelling the states! We're hoping to see some of the major cities all over the states and dip into Canada to visit Niagara and Toronto too!

I would say that is your best bet and an excellent choice!

It's a big country.....with a lot of great stuff. Whether your interests are cities, seascapes, landscapes, mountains, people, solitude, history, technology, hiking, gatherings, winter, spring, summer, fall, snow, beaches, deserts, raging rivers.......this country offers it all. Here was October 8th in Lake Placid, it was snowing was on the top of Whiteface......and Canada is only 60 miles away. Dress for the season depending where you go. :)

Well - today a friend and I just booked our flights, London to New York returning a full four weeks later! So any ideas of how to fill that would be much appreciated - although I think most ideas have already been covered ;)

We're probably gonna get a 1-month Amtrak pass and we'll obviously be taking in New York, then probably working our way down the east coast to Florida, I'm very excited about Kennedy Space Centre! No doubt we'll head across country to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon, I'd also love to see Yellowstone but we're limited to public transport.

It would be easy for me to spend 3 or 4 days in Washington D.C.
At least one full day in the Air & Space Museum on the mall, and another day at the new annex (located out at the airport; there is simply NO way to squeeze these 2 into one day and do justice to either)
Probably another full day or 2 at all the other places on the mall; the main Smithsonian, the art galleries, the Mint, the Lincoln Memorial, the Wall, the WWII memorial, the Holocaust Museum.....wow there's a lot to see
One thing to check into right now with your travel agent--some of these places require tickets for admission and only pass out a limited number per day. The tickets may be free but you have to be present early in the A.M. when they are passed out.

Back