OT - Hunger Games

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I bet they left a bunch on the cutting room floor and they're going to see $$$ when the extended cut comes out.

Good point about the cat. It would have been a funnier nod if it were actually a yellow cat, but maybe they had trouble finding an ornery yellow cat.;)

The only part of the Mockingjay pin thing I didn't get was why they chose to make it a secret instead of the token that each tribute gets to take to the arena with them? I understand they decided to cut the Mayor's daughter from the film but I don't think it had to make the pin a secret.

Did they mention anything about tokens in the film? I don't remember any mention, and if so it looked like Cinna was doing a deliberately defiant act to cue the audience that there might be more to him than meets the eye.

+1 to Pippen on the whole Queasycam bit.......didn't like it one bit.

I've read all three books and this was the first movie we've gone to as a family where all of us read the book before the movie. That was a fun though and I wasn't dissapointed in the family event...but....

I didn't care much for the movie. I didn't like the camera work or the significant things they cut (understand but not like). However, as far as my daughter is concerned, I "loved" it. Yes, that's right, I allow my daughter to think I liked it because she would be devistated otherwise becasue she loved it so much. If it means anything, she has since re-read all three books since we saw the movie... :y:

I also didn't like how it ended... Oh well maybe the next two movies will be better!

Last edited:
Hate to be a buzzkill, but is this targeted towards the same audience as say, Harry Potter or Twilight? I was forced to sit thru the 1st Harry Potter movie on a trans-atlantic flight, and found the whole thing pretty lame. If those movies are any indication of JK Rowling's writing skills then today's audiences have definitely lowered their standards, as in plot holes you could drive a truck through.... Then I hear folks in the same breath talking about Twilight movies and my eyes just roll around like, oh boy...:eyeroll: is this up there with the Blair Witch project, another implausible bit of tripe foisted on the movie-going public? Does the plot for Hunger Games resemble, in any way, the movie "The 10th Victim?"
I guess I got spoiled letting Kubrick films set my standards...:dark:

The shaky camera filming techniques were really distracting for me, especially early in the film in District 12. I could see it more suitable when she was on the move and being hunted. I seriously had eye strain from seeing the film, with blurry and painful eyes for the next few days.
The shaky cam was used to emphasize a feeling of poverty. You'll notice when there is a shot of anywhere in the capitol, the camera is very smooth and precise, just like the capitol. The camera in District 12 represents the setting: unstable, dirty, poor.
I thought the shaky cam was over-used a little. You want the effect to be less pronounced. My friend bent over and whispered "why is the camera moving all over the place?". Still, I thought while the shaky cam was overused it was a nice touch.
The shaky cam in the fight scenes was brilliant. IMHO, it would have gotten an "R" rating without it. IT must have been a tricky task figuring out how to keep the graphic scenes to minimum, the shaky cam was a simple, elegant solution.

I thought the movie was great. The acting was good, the casting was great, the cinematography was great and it followed the story closely. I would give it a 8/10. (and i'm a harsh movie critique, most of the movies i watch are 4s or 5s).

Alex

Absolutely loved it! I'm not sure how it could have followed the book any closer. I found it humorously ironic watching a movie that had computer animated beasts about people in a game where the game makers added computer generated beasts brought to life! Need to read the books again now.

I remember watching the bonus DVD's for Lord of The Rings where they were talking about what parts of the story they had to cut to make the movies and especially for a trilogy, there are gut wrenching decisions to make that have to figure into the whole set of movies

Sadly they had to cut it down to a slim 15 hours! I found the films extremely tedious because they did not cut enough, to be honest. Any film over 105 minutes had better be quite good. 180 minutes? Better be great. 2 hours of epic dialog about finding the way to fight for the future gets boring.

Sadly they had to cut it down to a slim 15 hours! I found the films extremely tedious because they did not cut enough, to be honest. Any film over 105 minutes had better be quite good. 180 minutes? Better be great. 2 hours of epic dialog about finding the way to fight for the future gets boring.

I guess to each their own. In honor of this post, I'm queuing up The Return of the King ...Extended DVD :clap:

I guess to each their own. In honor of this post, I'm queuing up The Return of the King ...Extended DVD :clap:

Yeah, I figure if a great film can be made for $1 million... some of these $50 - $100 million films should at least be okay. That seldom happens.

The challenge is where and what to cut without sacrificing huge chunks of the story.

I hear you on the length, though -- I did catch myself getting a bit fidgity during Hunger Games. Good movie, though, even at 120 minutes.

-Kevin

Back