OSX Catalina dropping 32 bit app support

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Ian A Dalton

Reaction score

dpower

Reaction score
Bummer! Hopefully Rocksim will be updated, but it may take a while - IIRC they contract that work out. I'm still on High Sierra (10.13), last time I attempted to upgrade to Mojave (10.14), WiFi wouldn't work, so I restored back.

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
Reaction score
The Perfectflite Datacap application is only 32 bit. OpenMotor and OpenRocket are 64 bit, as is OpenSCAD. An easy way to check your system:

• Apple Menu > About This Mac > click System Report
  • Once generated, click Applications under Software
  • then sort by 64 bit (right most column, just click on '64-bit')
  • 32 bit apps will be listed at the top (will say No)

I have a Windows laptop that will run the Datacap app so not a huge deal, but it would be great to get an updated version. That and a Mac version of the Featherweight altimeter software.

Tony

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
Reaction score
Don't upgrade.
For me the compelling feature is Sidecar - the ability to use an iPad as an extended display. I do a lot of Photoshop and Illustrator and the ability to use my iPad Pro with the Pencil as a second display is pretty compelling for me. I've tried several 3rd party utilities but none have really done all that I wanted. Sidecar looks to be very capable, allowing the iPad to be either a second display or work surface. But I will make a full backup to an external drive in case things don't work out so I can revert back to the old OS.

Tony

Arsenal78

Reaction score
If Apogee would update the damn software it wouldn’t happen. For the outrageous price they’re asking for it, I’d expect some updates such as 64 bit.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
If Apogee would update the damn software it wouldn’t happen. For the outrageous price they’re asking for it, I’d expect some updates such as 64 bit.
And I can't stand their serial number process.

afadeev

Reaction score
Apogee doesn't update Rocksim, they just mark up, and resell it.
Rocksim was written and is maintained by Paul Fossey, though you wont find his credits on Apogee's web site.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/paul-fossey-658575b/

a

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Either way, it is in a bad need of an update.

mpitfield

Staff member
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
For me the compelling feature is Sidecar - the ability to use an iPad as an extended display. I do a lot of Photoshop and Illustrator and the ability to use my iPad Pro with the Pencil as a second display is pretty compelling for me. I've tried several 3rd party utilities but none have really done all that I wanted. Sidecar looks to be very capable, allowing the iPad to be either a second display or work surface. But I will make a full backup to an external drive in case things don't work out so I can revert back to the old OS.

Tony
That sounds like a compelling reason for you to upgrade. One way of running 32bit apps in Catalina would be to install something like VMware Fusion and run a copy of Mojave to run your 32bit apps. I had VMware Fusion running on my MacBook Air 2010 running a virtual Windows 7 Pro 32 bit machine. I can't recall the macOS version, I think it was Snow Leopard, but it worked very well.

BryRocket

Reaction score
Well, I just got a new computer and upgraded my other. Everything is running Catalina now and yep, DataCap is not working. Any thoughts on another mac app to download them (outside of a VM)? I guess I can email PerfectFlite to see if there will be an update.

Rocketjunkie

Addicted to APCP
Reaction score
In Windows, if you find the app's .exe file, you can right click and select properties. From there you can run it in compatibility mode of a previous version of Windows. Does OSX have a similar function?

WillMarchant

Reaction score
I just read an article explaining OSX Catalina is going to drop support for 32 bit apps. This means Rocksim as we know it today will fail to work if you update your computer.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/your-ma...ff-32-bit-apps-heres-what-that-means-for-you/

Any other software for rocketry we know will be impacted by this?

Anyone know if a fix going to be released for Rocksim?
https://www.apogeerockets.com/RockSim/System_Requirements Describes the Catalina process.

Tim is working on a fresh release of RockSim as announced at NARCON-2020.

BuckRogers

Reaction score
Well, I just got a new computer and upgraded my other. Everything is running Catalina now and yep, DataCap is not working. Any thoughts on another mac app to download them (outside of a VM)? I guess I can email PerfectFlite to see if there will be an update.
VM's aren't allowed. Just tried to run RockSim v10 in a Win7 VM on my Mac and got a license activation error saying: "RockSim 10 activation failed. installation inside a virtual machine or hypervisor is not allowed. Please contact the product vendor."

Pretty weak given how common virtualization and containerization are these days. Fortunately I got it running directly on my Mac, but my heart skipped a beat when I saw that error message.

mpitfield

Staff member
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
VM's aren't allowed. Just tried to run RockSim v10 in a Win7 VM on my Mac and got a license activation error saying: "RockSim 10 activation failed. installation inside a virtual machine or hypervisor is not allowed. Please contact the product vendor."

Pretty weak given how common virtualization and containerization are these days. Fortunately I got it running directly on my Mac, but my heart skipped a beat when I saw that error message.
Wow that is very disappointing to say the least! If they don't run on VMs then they should write it for 64bit. What was your work-around?

BuckRogers

Reaction score
Wow that is very disappointing to say the least! If they don't run on VMs then they should write it for 64bit. What was your work-around?
I temporarily disabled Gatekeeper app protection with "sudo spctl --master-disable" via Terminal. Then "installed" (drag to Applications folder) RockSim v10. After verifying that RockSim was working I reverted Gatekeeper to the original setting with "sudo spctl --master-enable".

Latest posts