OSD build thread.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as the nose doesn't weigh a ton, drag separation shouldn't be an issue. I'd personally sand down the front of the body tube to get rid of the lip, but I'm somewhat of a perfectionist. It should fly fine either way.

As long as the nose doesn't weigh a ton, drag separation shouldn't be an issue. I'd personally sand down the front of the body tube to get rid of the lip, but I'm somewhat of a perfectionist. It should fly fine either way.

Wait, my theory is a possibility?

And Cji, I bet that will play to a disadvantage when you built or will build the ACME spitfire :D

Wait, my theory is a possibility?

And Cji, I bet that will play to a disadvantage when you built or will build the ACME spitfire :D

Drag separation is only a problem when the nose cone is significantly heavy, and the fit is very loose. Neither seems to be present here, end of story.

Drag separation is only a problem when the nose cone is significantly heavy, and the fit is very loose. Neither seems to be present here, end of story.

Is that when the nose cone "tilts" sideways and flys off?

Is that when the nose cone "tilts" sideways and flys off?

Not exactly. Drag separation occurs when the body is extremely high drag and/or light, and the nose cone is low drag and heavy. As a result, at burnout, the nose cone will coast away from the body, since it is heavier and lower drag. This results in the chute coming out pretty much exactly at burnout.

So it's basicly inertia keeps the NC going while the rest of it slow with high drag, I would hate to see it happen on a mach 10 rocket.....

PS: sorry upscaler for hijacking your thread ;)

I would like to see a non government owned vehicle capable of Mach 10

So it's basicly inertia keeps the NC going while the rest of it slow with high drag

Yep. It's generally considered to be a bad thing, and you can prevent it by making sure the nose cone's fit is not too loose.

Yep. It's generally considered to be a bad thing, and you can prevent it by making sure the nose cone's fit is not too loose.
okay sounds good. I guess it's a good thing I have 7 or 8 rolls of blue masking tape around here.

You guys can call me Braden if you'd like:p Especially if I ever meet any of you at a launch.:neener:

okay sounds good. I guess it's a good thing I have 7 or 8 rolls of blue masking tape around here.

It doesn't need to be excessive. Generally, if you can pick the rocket up by the nose cone, and gently shake it (not hard, just gently) without the nose coming off, it's tight enough.

You mean so you can totally be left in the dust? :D

This thing will whip you boy! H250 mojave greens! Find somebody L1, get a 29/240 case and get over here. It's on.

Fair enough..... I'll find a wildman Jr. And still a H999 in there :D

Ok are we specifying a motor diamiter or is it all up for grabs, I can totaly beat you off the pad with a D21 (ok I'm cheap :D )

It doesn't need to be excessive. Generally, if you can pick the rocket up by the nose cone, and gently shake it (not hard, just gently) without the nose coming off, it's tight enough.

Sounds good. I'll give it a test after I hit it with primer. I just got the last bit of fiberglass on. So tomorrow I'll sand, fill, repeat, until I'm satisfied. Then give it a good coat of primer.

Fair enough..... I'll find a wildman Jr. And still a H999 in there :D

Ok are we specifying a motor diamiter or is it all up for grabs, I can totaly beat you off the pad with a D21 (ok I'm cheap :D )

I'll use a pyrodex pellet on my igniter and get the mojo lit faster than you can blink:dark:

If I ever meet both of you at a launch at the same time.. we'll have a 3-way drag race.

J350-magnalite dipped e-match, with the top grain painted with pyrogen.

Thats only the first stage though..

Second stage- I1299.. POOF! Buh-Bye now

How does Southern Thunder sound?

If I ever meet both of you at a launch at the same time.. we'll have a 3-way drag race.

J350-magnalite dipped e-match, with the top grain painted with pyrogen.

Thats only the first stage though..

Second stage- I1299.. POOF! Buh-Bye now :alien:

How does Southern Thunder sound?

Don't think I could make it to souther thunder. How about XPRS?
I'm going to have a go at dipping my own ematches soon.

haha.
Not likely.

How about a virtual drag race? We can be innovative here.We all use the same stopwatch. Start it at "liftoff" on the countdown, and stop it at the motor ignition. Altimeters to inform us of altitude, and use the stopwatch again from deployment to landing. :D

Scrapdaddy- I could use a MMX motor for an igniter if I wanted to.. Plus the fireball from my rocket would vaporize yours.

That could work... Or maybe we could wait until we cross paths someday...

Last edited:
Hey guys I have a better idea, all of use download openrocket (it can open rocksim files) we select the motor/ rocket combo of our liking and hit run sim, then we export the Excel spreadsheet here, whoever leave the pad first wins open rocket mesures to the milliseconds, just set to 1000 samples per second.

Hey guys I have a better idea, all of use download openrocket (it can open rocksim files) we select the motor/ rocket combo of our liking and hit run sim, then we export the Excel spreadsheet here, whoever leave the pad first wins open rocket mesures to the milliseconds, just set to 1000 samples per second.

Mine sims to over 8000' and just under mach one with a 6 second delay between staging.

Back