Orion Starfighter Clone Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InFlight

Reaction score
Started working on my Estes Orion Starfighter clone today.

Acquired parts

100_1016.jpg

Last edited:
Assembled engine mount per instructions that I found on the JimZ website.

Sorry for the fuzzy pic

100_1019.jpg

Next, assembled fins and wings per instructions.

Wax paper rules...

100_1021.jpg

Started to assemble the auxiliary intake and main body tube per instructions.

Glued screw eye into the nose cone. I'm skipping around a little bit. :p

Now, I need to start cleaning up the decal scan in photoshop while the glue dries. :cool:

100_1023.jpg

100_1020.jpg

Started working on my Estes Orion Starfighter clone today.

Acquired parts

Oh man Ray, those look like laser cut fins.... :eyepop: you better be getting ready to release that as a kit... :p

I recently purchased an original Estes Starfighter Combo off of Ebay. I was always more partial to the Torellian Invader, but that's tough to clone with the nose cone.

I am looking forward to this build! :D

Starfighter Combo 005 cropped.jpg

You ignored my point :p

THOSE ARE LASER CUT FINS!

When is the kit being released... :neener:

Ok so I just figured out where you got those fins... :blush: when did Semroc add those to the list?

Still looking forward to the build, and especially interested if you can get a good set of decals going. :rolleyes:

Ok so I just figured out where you got those fins... :blush: when did Semroc add those to the list?

Still looking forward to the build, and especially interested if you can get a good set of decals going. :rolleyes:
Yep, those fins are from Semroc. :headbang:

I will be printing the decals on my ALPS printer. I have some metallic silver just for this project.

Glued assembled wings and fins to the body tube per instructions.

Cutout and glued paper canopy together and attached kevlar shock cord to the engine mount.

100_1025.jpg

100_1027.jpg

I have an original Alien Invader nose cone and I plan to make a mold of it with a non shrinking RTV mold compound.

The Torellian Invader is next on my list to clone. ;)

Got a chance to work on this again. Finished gluing fins and wings on and applied fillets to all the joints.

Sprayed a light coat of white sand-able primer. Start sanding and filling in a day or two.

100_1028.jpg

100_1029.jpg

100_1030.jpg

I'll post some pics of the paint job tomorrow. Currently making a resin cast nose cone for my next build, the Torellian Invader clone.

Step aside Pimp Daddy :roll:

Finished painting, yeah, some grain is showing. I'm going to fly this one so I didn't bother trying to fill everything. :eek:

Not happy with the canopy, went with 20lb paper and should have used 67lb paper. :rolleyes:

100_1036.jpg

Looks good to me... I bet it will look sharp as can be from the LCO table :D

Have you had any luck with the decals... :rolleyes:

Looks good to me... I bet it will look sharp as can be from the LCO table :D

Have you had any luck with the decals... :rolleyes:
Right top corner in the first pic. ;)

Giving the paint one more day to dry before I tackle the decals.

Right top corner in the first pic. ;)

Giving the paint one more day to dry before I tackle the decals.

Oh Man! Don't be such a tease! :duck: That's just the canopy...

Fine... I'll wait for the paint to dry :bang:

Oh Please Oh Please!!!! Clone both these kits and sell them on your site for us.....Pretty please.:D

Back