Original fat boy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RalPh8

Reaction score
Does anybody have the specs on the original Fat Boy that was around in the 90s? (tube size, length, nose cone, mmt, etc...) It was always my dream to have one as a kid but I don't believe they make them anymore... just micro and mini sizes. Also does anybody make a high power kit version of the Fat Boy?

I have one, but it's built and is one of my childhood rockets and isn't going anywhere. It's not hard to clone though. It's BT-80 tube and a Super Big Bertha nose and an 18mm motor mount with big centering rings (unless you want to upgrade to 24mm). Just need to find a fin template somewhere.

Plans are at YORP:
Estes Fat Boy #1273 (rocketshoppe.com)
Per John Brohm's reference list, body tubes are:
BT-80 Slotted 8"
BT-20 2.75"
PNC-80BB nose cone widely available from vendors or Estes.
You might not be able to find a pre slotted tube but easy to cut your own slots.
Here's a pic of my nekkid second clone. Lost the first one to the rocket gods a couple of years ago.
0120210503[1].jpg

Happy building!

I have one, but it's built and is one of my childhood rockets and isn't going anywhere. It's not hard to clone though. It's BT-80 tube and a Super Big Bertha nose and an 18mm motor mount with big centering rings (unless you want to upgrade to 24mm). Just need to find a fin template somewhere.
Thanks! That’s a start

Plans are at YORP:
Estes Fat Boy #1273 (rocketshoppe.com)
Per John Brohm's reference list, body tubes are:
BT-80 Slotted 8"
BT-20 2.75"
PNC-80BB nose cone widely available from vendors or Estes.
You might not be able to find a pre slotted tube but easy to cut your own slots.
Here's a pic of my nekkid second clone. Lost the first one to the rocket gods a couple of years ago.
View attachment 447169

Happy building!
Most excellent!

In addition to the above references, if you ask Estes customer sevice very nicely, they might be able to send you a PDF that will print the correct size fin pattern. They have done this for me for a couple of the PSII kits (MDRM for one).

In addition to the above references, if you ask Estes customer sevice very nicely, they might be able to send you a PDF that will print the correct size fin pattern. They have done this for me for a couple of the PSII kits (MDRM for one).
Wow! Excellent. I had no idea that was an option. Thank you!

I built one using the YORP but didn’t TTW fins. Haven’t broken off yet from hard streamer landings. The chute tore off from a C11-3 but might stay on with a 5 charge.

Very much enjoyed this video. You guys may not have music, but you have the banter down pat!

Very much enjoyed this video. You guys may not have music, but you have the banter down pat!
I’ve tried music in the past with my snorkeling videos but usually not happy with the results. I may be a decent rocketeer but not a decent DJ.

I’ve since replaced the Odyssey NC with one from the SST since I’ve lost two already and decided I need better luck.

Last edited:
This has always been one of my favorite rockets. I think I built ONE (the first one) stock. After that, it was mod-city; 24mm motor, 29mm motor, cluster, ply centering rings, ply fins, two stage, etc. The Baby Bertha was out before the Baby Fat Boy, so I did the calculations to down-scale and built one in 18mm from a bB kit.

I am getting tired of my MFB. Guess it’s time to upgrade to 18mm...
If you scratch build a full size FB, go with 24mm. The full size FB flys better with a bit of extra nose weight and the extra "umph" you get in 24mm, while not required, is a good idea. Mine flys great on D12-5

My scratch build Fatboy replica has:

Estes 80 series BB nose cone
8 inches of 80 series tubing
Two BT80x18mm centering rings
18mm motor mount tube (BT20)

C6-3 = 500' Altitude @ 200 km/h

Sometimes add an 808 cam to the nose, as seen in pic.

Not much else to it. If you build one with 24mm motor mount (BT50), it will require nose weight to remain stable.

DSC_0074.JPG

Last edited:
If you scratch build a full size FB, go with 24mm. The full size FB flys better with a bit of extra nose weight and the extra "umph" you get in 24mm, while not required, is a good idea. Mine flys great on D12-5
Like this? I used a C11-3 before which ripped off the chute so using a steamer but probably would work fine with a -5. I don't have NC weight. I might try it.

So you guys inspired me and thanks to y’all’s help this weekend I made significant progress on a home built Fat Boy with a 24mm MMT. I’m excited! I’ll finally have the rocket I always wanted as a kid! :)

Attachments

• 9C38EA22-76C7-4814-9678-9181AE6C6A18.jpeg
    9C38EA22-76C7-4814-9678-9181AE6C6A18.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 38744D15-D7E5-4CA3-AE06-D5D5ABABF347.jpeg
    38744D15-D7E5-4CA3-AE06-D5D5ABABF347.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 37
Back