Original Estes Greyhawk build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Caswell

Reaction score
Last year I finally got around to building my Estes Greyhawk, which had been in my stash since the 90’s. I finished it in October, but since I’ve been trying to sort out what scheme to finish it in. All I knew was that the rocket actually had really nice lines and the stock Estes scheme didn’t showcase ‘em well at all. My initial plans were too elaborate (I intimidated myself!), so I kept scaling back until I hit on some that seemed doable without making me crazy and/or creating too many potential technique challenges/blunders.

The overall color was ACE Premium Enamel Light Gray, with Tamiya Bright Orange for the highlights. The decal sheet was my custom creation, put together in Photoshop and printed on MicroMark decal paper. The cockpit canopy area was all finished using Gundam Markers. In the photos I included a reduced version of my Photoshop worksheet for the scheme and decals, just to demonstrate my process.

1682877254984.png

Attachments

• GHR-2.jpg
    GHR-2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • GHR-3.jpg
    GHR-3.jpg
    682.1 KB · Views: 1
  • GHR-8.jpg
    GHR-8.jpg
    699.8 KB · Views: 2
  • GHR-5.jpg
    GHR-5.jpg
    693.7 KB · Views: 0
  • GHR-4.jpg
    GHR-4.jpg
    729.3 KB · Views: 1
  • GHR-1.jpg
    GHR-1.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 1
Great job my hats off to you. Great paint scheme This is what ESTES should have done to this one to begin with.
Maybe you should start working at ESTES.

WOW, that is a very good looking bird.
Wonder how hard that would be to upscale slightly, I'm guessing the nosecone would be the hard part....

Both. I was born and raised in Carbondale and did go to SIU.

I launch on my farm. I have a 80 acres farm. To tell you the truth I haven't launched in quite a while. I still like to keep up with what's going on in the hobby.

I get it. I I've started and left the hobby half a dozen times since 6th grade. It just keeps pulling me back in. This time, I plan to stick with it. I find the finishing process to be more fun now. Used to just build em, and fly em raw.

Looks really nice, Rob! I definitely like the paint scheme, the orange on gray really pops.

Thats really nice, I was just thinking about this not long ago, had one as a kid for one of my first builds. Turned out ok, cannot remember what happened to it..Very cool color scheme though!!

Back