• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found Original Cherokee-D (K-47)(Two Piece Fin Construction) Instructions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
In a recent post on the subject of the Cherokee-D, rocketguy101 posted a .pdf of a Cherokee D fin pattern (with the image seen below) that is meant to be cut from balsa stock that is too narrow to have the fins made from a single piece of balsa.

upload_2020-1-16_8-49-5.png

I've never seen any instructions that mention gluing two pieces of balsa together and hand cutting them from the resulting sheet. This has to be older than the instructions seen on JimZ's site (https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/estes/k-47.pdf). I *REALLY* want to see the instructions that would have called for this method of building. I've just checked on the JimZ scan, and there's no mention of kit number that I could find. I'm wondering what other variants (if any) exist.

Thanks!

Pointy Side Up!

Sure enough, those look to be the ones I was looking for. Whodathunk it'd be on THEIR website?

Thanks Bobby!

Yes, Bobby thanks for finding this...I was beginning to wonder if I'd imagined the 2 piece fin...but my old pattern is printed by Estes, and I can't tell if a fin pattern is printed on the pattern sheet in the instructions, so I'm still thinking an even older version existed??? It was only 48 years or so ago ;)

Or so ;) ... The short variants were apparently only around for a year or so (according to information gleaned from Semroc's reproduction's instructions). The rocket was introduced in 1970. In my research, it appears that they overlooked the increase in length in the catalogs, as they were listed as 21.6" long through the entire run, despite the longer body tube being introduced sometime around 1971. One thing I need to do is update the files to include the two piece fins (and dowels that go under the launch lugs).

Back