Orientation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmacklin

Reaction score
So this morning when I checked my emails, private messages and new forum posts, the subject of "orientation" was weighing heavy on my mind. :facepalm: After reviewing things, I have come to the conclusion that the only aspects of orientation rocket enthusiasts need to consider are Azimuth and Zenith. :wink:

I love using topo maps and a compass myself. All this GPS tomfoolery is for the birds.

When I saw the title "orientation", my first thought was "oh crap- is this another argument about which way the toilet paper roll goes?"

I don't know what bearing this will have on the conversation, but while I don't have a map of the local area, I do have a compass usually on my person when I'm out and about.

Oh, and that phrase "Go West young man"... I took it so literally, I'm now in the East.

Right, otherwise it rubs against the wall as you are pulling it down, and in a public restroom -- eeewww.

That's minor compared to the issue we have at work - the rolls they buy are about 1/2" too narrow for the holders. Pulling on them usually results in the roll popping off and rolling away under the stall wall!

You kids and all your new fangled technology! Maps and a compass?? I only ever look at the stars and the sun to find my way.

Actually, I often practice getting my bearing by sun position, much like I practice doing arithmetic in my head. Useful skill sometimes, and hard to do quickly unless you practice under different circumstances.

If nothing else I find it useful while driving, since my car does not have a compass display.

Actually, I often practice getting my bearing by sun position, much like I practice doing arithmetic in my head. Useful skill sometimes, and hard to do quickly unless you practice under different circumstances.

If nothing else I find it useful while driving, since my car does not have a compass display.

Something I got in the habit of doing while camping is telling time by the sun. Not so much like "9:00" "2:00" etc., but figuring out a feeling for the natural rhythm of time. Knowing when to eat so as not to be eating in the dark, and all that. After a week of it, I feel SO much different than my standard days which are dictated by precise bell-schedules...
Back to Orientation, I love it when rockets are still oriented vertically (i.e. back-sliding) when the ejection charges pops the rocket. Always kind of cool.

Actually, I often practice getting my bearing by sun position, ..., since my car does not have a compass display.

Reminds me of the time I got "lost" trying to get back to the north side of Chicago from Sandwich IL. My passenger asked me, "Do you know the way?". My response was, "I'll just keep heading east until I get to Lake Michigan, then I'll turn left"

Something I got in the habit of doing while camping is telling time by the sun. Not so much like "9:00" "2:00" etc., but figuring out a feeling for the natural rhythm of time.

I love hunting in the early fall back in the wilderness. Pretty quick you get on "animal time" - 2 awake and 2 sleep times a day.

When I saw the title "orientation", my first thought was "oh crap- is this another argument about which way the toilet paper roll goes?"

It depends. Cats and small children are known to spin the roll just to watch it unroll. You ever try to roll 50 feet of paper back onto the roll? :p

I've thought about my orientation most of the day.

I spend about half of my time horizontal and the remainder vertical but that's not say there isn't some inclined plane action in there as well.

PS. My Facebook gender selection is "ROBOT". For reals. I had to enter it at least 10 times before FailBook would accept it.

I've thought about my orientation most of the day.

I spend about half of my time horizontal and the remainder vertical but that's not say there isn't some inclined plane action in there as well.

PS. My Facebook gender selection is "ROBOT". For reals. I had to enter it at least 10 times before FailBook would accept it.

When did you first realize you were a robot?

When did you first realize you were a robot?
After seeing "The Terminator". There's a scene where Ahnold is in his flophouse room and the manager bangs on his door. The screen then shows his programming suggest possible responses.

It was at that point I realized I was a robot.

Of course I've been involved with computers since the 1950's and have never strayed from that field...writing software, building computers, symbolic logic, etc.

My life has been a series of If-Then and Do-While loops and decision trees.

Over the top/front... der...

Right, otherwise it rubs against the wall as you are pulling it down, and in a public restroom -- eeewww.

+1 and 3/4ths to this. The GF just can't comprehend why it makes a difference. I say it's because we're civilized. That never gets me very far...

Adrian

After seeing "The Terminator". There's a scene where Ahnold is in his flophouse room and the manager bangs on his door. The screen then shows his programming suggest possible responses.

It was at that point I realized I was a robot.

Of course I've been involved with computers since the 1950's and have never strayed from that field...writing software, building computers, symbolic logic, etc.

My life has been a series of If-Then and Do-While loops and decision trees.

Hopefully there haven't been any Reboots along the way or worse BSOD's...

It depends. Cats and small children are known to spin the roll just to watch it unroll. You ever try to roll 50 feet of paper back onto the roll? :p

I have 4 girls 4 and under . I hide TP like I'm hiding drugs from my parents.

Last edited:
Hopefully there haven't been any Reboots along the way or worse BSOD's...
I have been rebooted (cardioverted) three times in the last in the last nine years. Cardiologist said on Thursday I should just learn to live with my arrythmia as my ejection fraction is still 55. Apparently that's a good number for a geezer...or even a much younger man.

I have been rebooted (cardioverted) three times in the last in the last nine years. Cardiologist said on Thursday I should just learn to live with my arrythmia as my ejection fraction is still 55. Apparently that's a good number for a geezer...or even a much younger man.

The important thing is you are still with us!

These are my favorite orientations or positions :cool: And yes it is better than $-E-x:wink::facepalm:
Raw B17_0326.jpg
RawB17_0311.jpg
RawB17_0332 - Copy.jpg

Back