Organizations?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svickrey

Reaction score
I live in Fort Stockton, Texas. There is no clubs within 250 miles of us that I can find listed in NAR or Tripoli's websites. I have a friend here who also wishes to join an organization but we are not sure which organization would be best suited for us.
What would you do?

Fly all you can. Don't worry too much about an organization unless and untill you want to cert. I just have family at our launches and we burn 30 or more engines at a typical launch.
Ask around and see how many club members get to do that. Also, club launches frequently have officers that have to inspect every rocket before flying, a designated launcher (which means you don't get to push the GO button for your own brids) and believe it or not, PAPER WORK in the form of a flight card. Perhaps some clubs are less formal than this, but that is my understanding of a club launch.

Fort Stockton - been thru there countless times - no clubs, but there should be plenty of open space for a launch ;)

Anybody near San Antonio, TX?

I have a young friend that may be moving there soon and will be looking for a rocket buddy.

sandman

It is confirmed, there are in fact rocketeers in west texas!

I just moved to Odessa a month ago and couldn't seem to find any rocketry activity in the area. I was hoping to at least find someone who had a launch site or something but after posting in a few places looking for west texas rocketeers I began to worry that there were no rockets in west texas. And what a pity, all this flat land and no tall trees to speak of, though I suppose you could land one on top of an oil pump or power line. The only thing is the wind but there are days when it's not bad at all. Check your local hobby shops, they may have some rocket stuff in the back of the top shelf or something from back in the day. And some of them might even give you a discount if they don't have any demand.

I believe I may start a club in this area, I'll post here if I get anything going. Hope to fly with you in the not-too-distant future.

Peace :cool:

Mike

Mike,

We are equally happy to know your in Odessa. We were in Midland last night and goto the area all the time. Ronny (myfriend)
and I are currently looking for a site. It shouldn't be long though.
We both have contacts with many ranchers as ronny is an oil transport and I grew up out here. We already have found one spot but, we are not sure because B1s are known to buzz the area. Also, neither of us has ever applied for a waver before.
Ronny is putting together a LOC Aura as he has a thirst for altitude. And I am undecided which rocket to order.

Scott, I have no immediate need for this, but it is bookmarked! Could have used you back when I was doing calcs for computer facilites. Single phase, three phase all with different power specs, lighting, AC load (I forget how many BTUs you need per person in the room), etc, etc, etc.

BTW, thanks for the compiment :)

Back