Orbital Transport

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRadiator

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm nearing completion of my Orbital Transport. After I glue the elevons and the tail nozzle, she'll be ready for paint. My question about this particular rocket, there is only a wooden dowel and a launch lug to hold the glider in place. Has anone ever had problems with the glider falling off the booster during a launch? I'm just curious because I have never seen an OT fly. If this one works out well...... well, let's just say I'll be bitten by the upscale bug once again! Here's a photo of the bird I took last week.

Nice job!

No you won't have a problem with just the one launch lug and dowel to hold the glider.

I hope you have the two upper "finlets" set up to support the back of the glider? You really need those placed right!

Do a search...there has been a few upscales. a BT-60 167% (more or less) is the most popular.

There are a few different ones...a BT-70 by Micromister and Jim's downscale someplace in the 50,000 odd posts!

sandman

if i remember right, the one i launched about 30 years ago worked fine as was. i have another waiting in it's bag for me to find time to build it.

Thanks guys. I guess I just needed that for peace of mind more than anything else. I placed the glider supports (finlets) per the instructions so I'm pretty certain they are in the right place. Hmmm, BT-70 upscale...... now THAT'S impressive! Happy building Adam, and welcome to the Rocketry Forum. I hope you enjoy TRF!:)

Thanks Nick! nice to be here, i've been reading on and off for a couple of months, figured i should finally join the party!

Enjoy that orbital transport.

snip
Originally posted by TheRadiator
My question about this particular rocket, there is only a wooden dowel and a launch lug to hold the glider in place. Has anone ever had problems with the glider falling off the booster during a launch?

Radiator -
I had similar concerns, but as others have noted - that little setup works just fine. I took mine on it's maiden flight a few days ago. I was pleasantly surprised with the launch, as I expected a quicker takeoff. Slower just seems to me more realistic. I guess all those fins, canards, etc. add to the model's dragginess. What a blast to build, too!

Stephen

Here she is lifting off.

(I'm sure hoping you all enjoy seeing other people's creations as much as I do!)

Stephen

Why did you have to post those great pictures? I gotta go build one now! :mad: :D

Bushrat,

Great looking rocket!

Has anyone noticed the increase in the quality of the finish on all of the models posted here?

I sure have!

A lot better than what I saw 40 years ago with model airplane dope just slapped on!

I think this forum has had a LOT to do with the increase in quality!

Keep it up!

sandman

This is one rocket I've never built, but judging by the responses that the OT recieves in general, and having seen one launch before, it certainly a kit i'd love to clone someday.

Sweet pics !

I have one built... but not finished... It is in the garage, with a bunch of other rocket stuff piled around it. I am not sure I have all the parts anymore :(. I am thinking about buying another kit for my wall of fame.

Silverleaf,

Very easy to clone!

JimZ has plans...DUHHH!

If yer really lazy Balsa Machining Services has a set of laser cut fins for only $7 a set!

He also has the nose cones.

JimZ and Tango Papa has decals.

Heck even I have an extra set of decals someplace.

sandman

I have my original orbital transport, circa 1972, saved from a box in my aprents house. Since it turned yellow after all those years, I sanded it and have reapplied primer, etc.

Way back when, I finished the balsa with glue...the fins/wings were still hard and straight - the only problem was missing elevons on the glider.

Soooo....I'm refinishing the body and will put some decals on the beast soon, hoping to fly it in the near future.

This has always been one of my favorite rockets! :)

Excellent piece of work Bushrat! I'll be thrilled if mine turns out 50% as nice as yours. Although I spend a lot more time on the finishing/apinting stage now, for the precise reason the Sandman has stated. Heck, with guys like him around, I'd be embarassed to show some of my earlier work! They still look better than the rockets of yesteryear painted with dope, but not as nice as the work that is exampled here. Silverleaf, if you want to build one, I think BMS may be the cheapest way to obtain the parts to do it, even with the laser cut fin set. And on top of that you get the purdy balsa nose cones instead of the plastic ones! I'll post pics soon. The glue is drying on the last elevon as I type. :D

Thanks Guys for the tips on where to get parts. Right now my to do list is fairly short :

Finish up individual vendor listings for various parts in Word and transfer to Excel

Continue searching and collecting data on :

Energia-Buran
Sandhawk series
Nike series

Continue work on:
Ariane 4 model conversion
Quest Tomahawk

Start work on:
Energia-Buran scratchbuilt
Revel Shuttle Columbia model w/ stacks
Estes Saturn V
Terrier-Sandhawk Scratchbuilt
1/32nd scale 4 foot DMF3-Delta 3 - which if succesful will be built next in a 1/16th 8 foot configuration.
Clone my MPC Flatcat kit - to keep the original unassembled

I'm considering assembling my Enterprise and BattleCruiser, but since their mint, I may keep them as a collectable.

BMS has excellent prices on their balsa fins, but I'm a bit shocked at the prices of bals nose cones across the board.

That's what we need - VIDEOS!

Pics are certainly cool... but I could watch this stuff all day and get nothing done!

Stephen

Re: the upscale OT....didn't someone say once that a BMS (?) could do a lazer cut set of fin parts for the upscale? *scratching head* :confused:

I am beginning to go upscale on all my old favs...first Streak, then Sprite, then Trident, now Orbital transport....stop the madness! :D

Radiator:
I have 3 OT's a MMX 3x downscale, the standard size and my 3x upscale BT-80 OT. all three use the single dowel orbiter retainer, many many flights no prob's at all the 3X is set up for 4 D12-3's or Estes E15's (no longer made).

Jim:
Ultra OT tips the scales at 36.8oz (1044g) including a 36" and 18" nylon hemi chutes. Adding 4 - D12-3s LOWt is 42.78oz (1213g) or 2.675lbs. Here's a flight and pic page

Here is a built picture of the Orbital Transport before painting. I've yet to have decent weather to paint. It'll probably be another month or two before I can paint.

That looks fantastic!

Now!

Take your time, fill the balsa, fill the sprirals, get it ready for primer.

You have two months of cold weather to get it prepped for paint.

Last tip. Before you paint, get the Best paint you can find. It might cost a couple of dollars more than the cheap stuff but since the OT is one solid color white, you don't have to mask.

All the ones I've seen in this forum are looking a whole lot better than the ones I saw 35 years ago.

sandman

Will do Sandman! I have a whole jar of Elmer's fill & finish. Problem is, I have about 60 or so projects to prep for painting! However for the OT, I have a decision to make. I have a pint of Ford Fleet White left (for the hang-card look), from painting a buddy's van this past summer. But I also have some DuPont chamelon paint that might look nice on it as well. (It changes from blue to green to purple). I think at this point, this one will get the Fleet White, and when I get around to upscaling an OT, I'll go with the Chamelon (or.... paint it like an American Airlines jet or something)..... indecision plagues me! :D

Good Job Radiator!
With all those project to prep looks like you'll be going through a case or two of primer:)
I Like the Dupont camelon idea, white Ot's are so plain! I've often thought about doing one in Chrome Barematal foil with a Black orbiter..Just gotta finish everything else on the plate Ah Ha!
Tell me a little more about the camelon paint, is it available in spray can kits?

Well, let's just say Wal-Mart customers need to get their primer now...... I'm gonna hit the Braggtown Wal-Mart primer supply hard this weekend!
DuPont Chamelon paint..... when Ford re-introduced the Mustang Cobra in '96, there was that purple to green paint that you could get which also jacked up the price a bit. Since then DuPont went crazy and made a lot of different Chamelon colors and you tend to see them on low-riders and such. I'm not into low-riders, but I think it would be cool to see on an OT!
You can get the Plasti-Kote chamelon in spray cans at Advance Auto Parts, but it comes in three (or four) parts [base coat, color one, color two) and each one is pricey and smaller than a Krylon can. BTW, clear-coat is a must! It doesn't last long without it. For a two-tone you're looking at spending about 30 bucks for the paint job. Be VERY careful with it though. If any of it runs, it's near impossible to correct. (But not totally impossible!) :p

Back