Orbital Sciences GCM-163 Coyote

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay - let me be super clear - I like the Orbital Science version. That's what I want to build. Any thoughts? Thanks for helping me here hobie1dog and neil_w.

Length5.60 m (18 ft 4.3 in) (without booster)
9.53 m (31 ft 3.3 in) (incl. booster)
Diameter35 cm (13.8 in); booster: 46 cm (18 in)
Weight?
SpeedMach 2.8
Range110 km (60 nm)
PropulsionBooster: Hercules MK 70 solid-fueled rocket
Sustainer: Aerojet MARC-R-282 solid-fueled ducted rocket/ramjet

Just to be even superer clearer - Orbital Science = Northrop Grumman.

Anyway, I do not see any obvious source for scale plans, however I did find this: https://itsablast.com/store/orbital-sciences-gqm-163-coyote-details.html. They have a cardstock model of the missile, may or may not be accurate. Apart from downloading the plans and gleaning what you can from there, you might try contacting the people who run that site and see if they'll tell you if *they* had an source for drawings or plans, or if they just went off pictures (which is sometimes the only way).

Thanks guys!
Thinking roughly half scale would be 9'2" tall and 6" Blue Tube - that gets it close.
<I know this was like ringing the bell for the true scale Pavlov's dog's to start growling>

Their public affairs office gave me grief like I was going to poach their contracts when I asked for data. I even specified *exterior dimensions* and that I didn't care about the internals. email me later (phlash1-at-gmail-dot-com) and I'll send you a link to my dropbox folder. I'm not even sure what I've got in there - it may all be stuff you've already accrued....

This guy has already flown one at LDRS-40. there are 4 pictures but I cannot save them for some reason, but you can click on the right arrow and see them all:

appears to be a 4 inch version

Last edited:
Thanks so much guys - this is very helpful.

I think I'm most concerned/interested in the air scoop/inlets - everything else is very straightforward. There is a lot of detail and "section-ality" of these inlets that are not captured in just a straight "box" approach.

Just an aside to the OP...

Until this post, I never made the connection between the Coyote and Estes QCC Explorer. Good pic on TRF (Here). Mine has been in pre-primer stage for 2+ years. I need to finish it... :p

Back