Orbital Engineering's Spaceplanes are here...finally

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar_rocketry

Reaction score
I've just received my shipment of Orbital Engineering's line of Spaceplanes. If you've never heard of them before, then skip on over to my site and see what I'm talking about.

I'll also be one of the first in the world to get a pre-production copy of their R/C Spaceplane that they are in the final stages of developing. I'll post pictures of it on my site as soon as I can.

VMX2spacesm.jpg

Damage sent me one just before NARAM to do some "R&D" modifications on.

Hey, Damage..., can I show them what I did to one??

Please?

The VMXs are great rockets, look really nice in the air.

I've even been inspired to try scratchbuilding a spaceplane with similar techniques...it still needs work to say the least!

Originally posted by rebar_rocketry
I've just received my shipment of Orbital Engineering's line of Spaceplanes. If you've never heard of them before, then skip on over to my site and see what I'm talking about.

d00d! VMS-12! ORDERED!

I was just about to order it from Deep Sky across the pond.

Feel free to toss it in the box with the Spaceship One when it's in. Don't want it sitting outside in the weather before we've moved in.

I've been watching these guys. This is the first R/G I'm excited about. I may take up R/C for this.

Aerotech E6- and E15-P S/U and E6, 7 and 12-RC RMS. You betcha.

I haven't had a chance to fly it yet except to test glide but that worked OK.

I cut the front 5" and the rear 4" of the body tube and rotated them both 180 degrees to give me a 10 degree angle from the center section.

Then I split the center section of the body tube parralel with the wing and glued half on top and half on the bottom.

I also added the front canard which Damage... assures me he has tried with no ill effects.

I didn't want to try the engine nacelle because I thought that might just be too much weight to the rear.

Can you see what I was trying to come up with?

I don't want to paint it...too much weight but maybe some USAF decals to dress it up.

Here is the cut...not much!

Here is the center section slit.

I just don't show the bottom half but it's the same. The cut was cleaned up on my belt sander.

Here are the tubes all glued onto the wing.

Can you see what I'm going for?

The B-70 Valkyrie. Man, I have to admit that I didn't see that one coming, but when I saw it ... it hit like a ton of bricks. NICE JOB, Sand! With the altered body tubes and the addition of that canard, it is very close.

You'll love the way it flies, too.

And the camera man say, "Can we get the tigershark closer for the picture...no closer...closer...****...to close!

Yep, you got it, Ken!

Some stock balsa (or maybe sheet styrofoam??) and it shouldnt be too hard to model the jet intake nacelles on the fuselage underside...but that would add some weight too, i couldn't guess what that would do to the glide profile...

xb-70-kh.jpg

But it would be a sweet-looking bird either way. ;)

EDIT: Didn't read the thread all the way through.. I see Sandman is already miles ahead of me on that train of thought. :D

OTOH, modeling the nacelle understructure would alleviate the need for some of the angle tube construction underneath the wing level, since that tube section is enclosed by the nacelles... might be able to save some tube weight that way.

Just tossin out ideas. If any of them work, trust me, I will be as surprised as anybody!! :p

that would add some weight too, i couldn't guess what that would do to the glide profile...

I started on the nacelle but before I glued them on I checked and with cardstock they added almost 3/4 oz to the rear...without glue!

Great idea.
Have always loved the XB-70 and have seen her a couple of times in Dayton at WPAFB.
She is really BIG!

Hey guys,

Sorry, have been doing a lot of airmiles around Europe with the "real" job...

Sandman, remember to post what you think of the VMX-2 when you test fly her.

Doug, just sent you an email re more kits and an update on the VMX-3 R/C version. Had to reject a batch of parts 'cos the balsa wasn't up to scratch.

Ken, isn't it about time you posted your flight report for the VMX-12?
And how are you getting on with the prototype VMX-15 R/C?
Yes guys, Ken has the only one in the USA at the moment!

Reminds me, I'll have to go and take a few pics of both the R/C versions and post them soonest.

Best,

Damage...

So far the only thing I can say about the kit is, "Easy to build!"

Parts are cut with what looks like a teeny tiny router!

Even with my modifications it was easy.

Back