Orbital Engineering VMX Gliders U.S. dealer query...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverleaf

Reaction score
Greetings,

Not sure if this is the right place, but I figured most of the vendors check this section often.

I realize that Rebar Rocketry is down for a while with the current Hurricane after effects (and I'm hopeful he makes a full recovery), and that he is one of the 2 U.S. distributors - along with Totally Tubular. Given I cannot find a price list that current for TT - the last was 2003 - I'm asking if any of our regular vendors has considered carrying the line of Orbital Engineering VMX Gliders

https://www.orbitalengineering.net/spaceplanes.php

I'm very interested in these gliders, and would like to see more vendors in the states make them available.

Cheers and thanks for the consideration. 8)

Silver I have emailed them several times, they are putting together a qoute for me, hopefully in a few weeks. I will post here when I have a firm date.

Mike,

Woah - quick reply.

Many thanks for the info, and I'll be sure to keep an eye peeled for any updates from my favorite Uncle.

Cheers !

From a customer perspective, I can say I'd be jumping in when ANY vendor can score some of their kits, especially the R/C variations. Rebar had been waiting a long time for another shipment, not sure if the delay was on their end or OE's.

Silverleaf,

Thanks for your enquiry!

We too have not heard from Rebar for a while...

Totally Tubular did have a large shipment last year (VMX 2 and 12s) and customers have had success obtaining kits when we diverted enquiries to him recently.

The main problem with dealers stocking our kits in the US is the high exchange rate.

We decided to use the very best components, high quality balsa, and the leading kit manufacturer in the UK. All this means you get a quality kit that flies well and can take the knocks - but you have to pay for it.

We have been negotiating with a US manufacturer and will let you know if there is any news ASAP.

Mike, we did get your email but are waiting for our next stock run to be finished. We are also hoping to include a sample of the VMX-3 with your order. We will contact you soon as we expect to be shipping end of this month.

We DO intend to offer TFR members a unique chance to get their hands on the new R/C kits just as soon as we are satisfied that the kit is up to our usual standards - ie exceptional buildability and flyability.

Best regards

Damage...

Originally posted by Damage...
Silverleaf,

Thanks for your enquiry!

We too have not heard from Rebar for a while...

Totally Tubular did have a large shipment last year (VMX 2 and 12s) and customers have had success obtaining kits when we diverted enquiries to him recently.

The main problem with dealers stocking our kits in the US is the high exchange rate.

We decided to use the very best components, high quality balsa, and the leading kit manufacturer in the UK. All this means you get a quality kit that flies well and can take the knocks - but you have to pay for it.

We have been negotiating with a US manufacturer and will let you know if there is any news ASAP.

Mike, we did get your email but are waiting for our next stock run to be finished. We are also hoping to include a sample of the VMX-3 with your order. We will contact you soon as we expect to be shipping end of this month.

We DO intend to offer TFR members a unique chance to get their hands on the new R/C kits just as soon as we are satisfied that the kit is up to our usual standards - ie exceptional buildability and flyability.

Best regards

Damage...

Yes please keep me posted I've had a lot of requests for your kits

Does anyone know if Orbital is still selling their kits anywhere? I'd love to lay my hands on one of their kits, but I can't seem to find anyone that carries them anymore...

Their website domain also seems to have expired...

If kits are no longer available, does anyone have patterns?

Originally posted by PunkRocketScience
Does anyone know if Orbital is still selling their kits anywhere? I'd love to lay my hands on one of their kits, but I can't seem to find anyone that carries them anymore...

Their website domain also seems to have expired...

If kits are no longer available, does anyone have patterns?

I wondered the same thing. They are absolutely gorgeous kits, and I liked their website. I didn't realise until I saw your post that their website was no longer there either.

All the best,

Richard

Originally posted by WillMarchant
I mail ordered one of each from https://www.rebelrocketry.com/ and I see you can still add them to the shopping cart so I assume they still have them in stock...

How bad was the shipping on them? The conversion from Euros makes them kinda pricey just for the kits.... Approx. $55 and $78!

Send an email to Jim Fackert at Totally Tubular

Jim Fackert, Totally Tubular tm , 10555 McCabe Rd., Brighton MI 48116-8526
Email [email protected]

He may have a few left.

Please remember that Jim is often very slow to send things out. :rolleyes:

Thanks Gus. I've been around long enough to know about TT's track record. I'll post the results of any reply I get. I've also sent one off to Rebel and am still waiting for them to get back to me as well. Though they are a few time zones east, so I don't expect an answer until tomorrow at the earliest.

If Rebel doesn't work out, you might want to try sending an email to Malcolm at Rockets & Things:

https://www.rocketsandthings.com/view/category/53/

Shipping *might* be slightly cheaper than from Europe, but I'm not sure how the exchange rates are for the Euro at the moment. They're great kits and worth the price, IMO.

Phil

Thanks Wik! Rockets & Things is cheaper! I'll pop them off an e-mail to see if they can give me an estimate of the shipping...

Originally posted by PunkRocketScience
How bad was the shipping on them? The conversion from Euros makes them kinda pricey just for the kits.... Approx. $55 and $78!

The postage was about $15 for the VMX-2 kit. I was charged $US75.86 at the time so the exchange rate is almost the same.

Anyone heard from Damage... in recent months? He seems to have been the owner/director of Orbital Engineering, his last posting it seems was back in November. If Orbital has gone out of business then that's a shame because I remember browsing the Orbital website back in September and thinking to myself how gorgeous the Orbital VMX glider kits were.

Guess I'll have to approach Rockets & Things for a VMX kit (hopefully some time soon)!!!

Cheers ...... Pete

Hi everybody,

A quick update -

No we are not out of business, despite problems with some of our original dealers causing big cashflow problems.

We are now only currently supplying to:-
Rockets & Things - UK
Rebel Rocketry - Netherlands

We are looking at supplying a new US dealer in the near future.

The main problem recently has been with our web/domain host / email. The email was down for a time due to their "technical problems" and it was during this down time that we were sent a notice of our webaddress subscription about to expire - guess whats coming?

So the first we knew about it was when our emails started to come in again... and one informed us that someone had taken our domain!

Anyway - we have been testing some new designs and will have some great news soon!

Watch this space(planes)

Damage...

Hi Damage!

Great to hear that you haven't fallen by the wayside... Sorry to hear that you lost your domain!

I'll keep my eyes open for a post about US distributor for your kits! I'd love to pick up at least one of them, but I'm not sure about ordering internationally...

Back