Oracle Flights . . . log them here!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stefan_Jones

Reaction score
Made two flights of a stock Oracle camera and included rocket yesterday, from a freshly plowed-up vacant field across the street. (Unsuitable for flying before last month because of the waist-high grass; probably unsuitable again a few months from now because I think it was plowed up to make way for more condos and townhouses.)

On my very first flight last weekend, all but about the first five seconds of the video were a jumble, due to the payload spinning around during descent. I snap-swivelled a kevlar cord to the nose lug so the camera would be pointing down during recovery.

First flight was very good. I used a D12-5. The boost-phase footage
was still rather short. Based on the elapsed-time counter on the Media
Player, first motion was at about 2 seconds, ejection at 7 seconds.
Maybe the counter isn't very accurate, but I believe the delay was short.

After downloading the movie to my laptop (waiting in my car nearby), I
loaded up a D12-7. Based on the rocket's arc, I believed this was a
safe bet. As it happened, the rocket was just arcing over at ejection.
Launch time was just shy of 3 seconds into the video, ejection at
about 9 seconds. Again, a short delay if the video timing was correct.

But . . . the parachute seperated from the rest of the model! (Later
inspection showed that the snap-swivel had popped open.) The camera
and rocket tumbled to the ground. Fortunately, the camera was entirely
unharmed. The rocket had a slight ding or kink in it.

The video from this flight was rather dramatic. You can see the rocket
body twisting around at the other end of the shock cord. The impact
was apparently kind of soft . . . no bounce or "jump." The video ends
with my fingers wrapping around the camera and picking it up.

My current plans are to launch once or twice more with the existing
booster, then work on a streamlined super-booster.

Stefan

Hi,

Anyone know if this yahoo group is still active ? I'm waiting for permission to join by it's moderator.

Thanks for any info !!

SS

This group still has a pulse but it's not [very] active. Though if you post, you're likely to get some conversation.

I wonder if the extra mass in the Oracle nosecone is causing it to separate? We had the same problem with our Oracle last summer and eventually lost the parachute so it's on the injured/disabled list at the moment :rolleyes:

In looking to extend the boost portion of the video we used an Aerotech one time use motor (E power in a typical D case) and it worked but also resulted in the loss of the chute.

Hi,

Is this too much rocket at 7.6oz for a C-11 ? I don't have Rocksim demo anymore so can't plug in some info myself :(

Thanks, SS

I've never tried it yet myself with a C11-3, but according to Rocksim it should work. It hits an altitude of around 146' with ejection at 143' (traveling at 13fps). It clears the pad at 35fps (3' rod). Almost tried it at the local park in our subdivision just before new year's, but got cold feet! :) (not the weather...afraid of having it land on somebody's roof or worse in the tall trees ringing the park. Park is about the size of a football field). I think I'll try this engine at a larger site first.

By the way, I have some Oracle videos posted to google video. Do a search for Estes Oracle and you should find them They are flights I made with an E9-6, E18-7 and F12-5 at the VOA park in Butler County, Ohio. Videos are interesting, but there isn't too much to see due to the bland fields at the park! :) That's the trouble with video....the interesting fields all present recovery hazards! :)
Craig

Thanks for the feedback guys. I kind of want to try it with a C-11 first flight because my field is pretty small. I'm going to check out those reviews and videos now. Thanks for the links.

SS

Nice launch...I'm impressed that the ascent didn't exhibit any rotation...mine rotates like crazy. Curious to see if perhaps it might just be due to your launch conditions (all of my launches have been pretty windy, so that may have helped to instill some rotation...rotation usually is worse during the coast phase as rocket begins to slow down). How much drift did you get?
Craig

Hi, thanks.

There was only a slight breeze yesterday when we maidened the Oracle, so maybe thats why there wasn;t much spin. I had the launch rod pointed straight up, and on the C11 the drift was about 50 feet. With the D12-3 the drift was about 200 feet I guess.

Thanks, SS

RE: the rotation on assent- be sure to store the Oracle so the fins are not in contact with any surface. I noticed all the fin tips don't contact the same plane and the added weight of the video + battery might be enough to induce some slight warp in them over time.

Just my 2 cents worth but I did notice a difference in the amount of spin in our videos after it had sat on the mantle for a few weeks. It was remedied by keeping the weight off the fins so it's not fatal ;)

Back