OR, increased my fins by 50% and got over 50% higher simulation.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scadaman29325

Catching up and tripping all over myself.
Reaction score
The stability was less than 1 caliber and wanted that a little better. Also I was disappointed in the apogee at 359m.

So I increased the fin widths by 50%, no other changes. And I got 814m!

Anybody got $0.02 for this?

Thanks.

Look at the different plots that OR has to offer, in particular "Angle of attack and orientation vs. time". The plot for vertical orientation should stay close to 90°until apogee. The plot for angle of attack should drop to close to zero right after launch and also stay there until right before apogee. If this isn't the case, OR is simulating an unstable rocket skywriting.

Reinhard

Yes, I would say that your first simulation went unstable after launch because of the <1.0 cal. Increasing the fin area stabilised it. Also, check your launch velocity and rod length.

OR is 6DOF capable check the excel printouts it can export excel data of like forty plus variables. Within that lies all your pitch and roll data for the stability stuff. At very tiny intervals. You can the compare those between flights and learn the unstable rocket likely crashes.

Back