OR design trouble

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kzimmerman

Reaction score
This is my first time using or to design a rocket, used to use rocsim. So I designed a generic 2 stager, and its saying that the recovery was at high speed. Is there any way to set the motors ejection charge to none? I'm attaching the or file so you can see what I have. Suggestions welcome!

Attachments

• mergandevishner.ork
    2.9 KB · Views: 10
On the second tab "Motors and Configuration", double click the motor to update.
In the 'Ejection Charge Delay' field, type NONE. That should change it to a plugged motor.

1619186680134.png

Thank you. I just noticed that the answer was right underneath the dialogue box. Doh!

It is still saying that there is an event at high speed. is this just because its a 2 stage?

It is still saying that there is an event at high speed. is this just because its a 2 stage?

The "Recovery speed deployment at high speed (239 ft/s)" warning indicates that the streamer is not sufficiently slowing the descent rate of the rocket. Changing the streamer to a 10" drogue parachute reduces the descent rate to about 65 ft/s; no warning. The streamer drag coefficient of .02 to .04 just can't compare to a parachute with a drag coefficient of .80 or more.

Ah. that mylar streamer is there for visibility. I was anticipating coming down drogue-less, more or less. I was going to deploy the main from a cable cutter with the altimeter in the noseccone to fire the drogue and main.

Ah, ok. There really isn't a direct way to simulate a cable cutter so the best thing to do is to put a small drogue to act as the unopened main. I don't know of any good ways to estimate the behavior of the unopened main, unfortunately.

Last edited:
I took away the streamer and added a 12" parachute. deployments look good, but it still says discontinuity in the airframe. I've checked all the measurements for the tubes, coupler, centering ring, bulkhead, all of it.

Attachments

• mergandevishner.ork
    2.9 KB · Views: 10
I took away the streamer and added a 12" parachute. deployments look good, but it still says discontinuity in the airframe. I've checked all the measurements for the tubes, coupler, centering ring, bulkhead, all of it.
Ya got me on this one. I can usually find it, but not this time. I'd say just ignore it for now.

Hey @JoePfeiffer, do we have a feature request in for OR to show *where* the discontinuity is? It's ridiculous how much collective time has been spent trying to hunt down the source of this particular warning.

What’s interesting about this discontinuity warning is that it only appears on the simulation flight warning, not in the lower right corner of the display screen. And, the discontinuity does not occur in the current unstable.

Ya got me on this one. I can usually find it, but not this time. I'd say just ignore it for now.

Hey @JoePfeiffer, do we have a feature request in for OR to show *where* the discontinuity is? It's ridiculous how much collective time has been spent trying to hunt down the source of this particular warning.
Not that I can think of. But yes, that would be really helpful.

Ok, I shall ignore. Thank you all for your help! I'm sure I'm going to have more newb questions later on.

I have also had the discontinuity issue with my 2 stage design. I tracked it down to differences between the Wildman nose cone diameter and the fiberglass body tube diameter in the program. Even though they line up properly in reality the program seems to think they are two different diameters. So I just ignored it.

Back