Optimal model rocketry launch locations in the US

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in SoCal, and there are SIX places to launch HPR within about 4 hours... Lucerne Valley (ROC), TRASD, TCC, TRALV, Tripoli FAR, and Tripoli Mojave (MDARS). It doesn't get much better than that...

I like the idea of multiple HPR options, but what are the LPR/MPR options there, or in fact anywhere? A majority of my launching would be of the LPR/MPR variety and would love a publicly accessible field within a fifteen minute/half hour drive, if not my actual back yard. Here everything is mostly private land or all trees...

In Florida, we launch year round. Our club field is very unique. No land owner per se. We can launch any day of the week. HP or LP. We hold monthly launches and will support any HP launch by request given ample time to submit NOTAM. Can fly LP any day of week as long as proper fire protection on hand.
How far from Kennedy is your club field?

I like the idea of multiple HPR options, but what are the LPR/MPR options there, or in fact anywhere? A majority of my launching would be of the LPR/MPR variety and would love a publicly accessible field within a fifteen minute/half hour drive, if not my actual back yard. Here everything is mostly private land or all trees...
Have you looked at land prices in California vs. Kansas? Spend your tax savings every year on a couple of dozen motors :)
160 acres fits a 2500 ft circle, just saying....

I fly mostly here in the Mid West. Sure we mostly don't fly July thru September because the corn's just too high and the soybeans are too fragile, but those are also the months that we travel for LDRS, BALLS, Airfest, and often the National Sport Launch too. And there are a few places to fly even during those months. And there are lots and lots of Tripoli and NAR clubs here in the Mid West.

When the crops are out of the fields, it is wonderful flying around here.

Sure California and Florida are wonderful places to visit, but you know that several of the national canned vegetable companies do their growing and canning right here in Northern Illinois. And they only use the very best sweet corn for canning. So even when we can't fly rockets we can eat sweet corn.

Fair Trade off!

Brad, the "I even put sweet corn in my chili recipe" "Rocket Rev.," Wilson

(I just read about your Saturday shift issue in the plans for 2021 thread.)

Another thing to consider is the launch schedules of the nearby clubs. My club here in Upstate NY uses both days on launch weekends. Surely others do as well.

I got my L1 at MARS NYPOWER 2019, even with the tall grass ;). That was my Mega Der Red Max that hit the power lines, in case you were there. My club does a few Sundays but it is usually to give more opportunity for TARC teams to qualify, and I watch football in the fall so that doesn't help a lot. A club that does do both days is indeed something I would look for.

Last edited:
Back