Optimal Delay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackTheMan

Reaction score
Hello,
Currently, I have run into a issue when simulating on Open Rocket my Optimal Delay was 8 seconds and my motors delay is 14 seconds so the ejection charge will be late. I was thinking about buying a AeroTech Delay Drilling Tool to cut down the delay charge but I am tight on money. Is it possible to do this with a Drilling Power tool instead or just a miniature phillips screwdriver. Thank yall

I was thinking about buying a AeroTech Delay Drilling Tool to cut down the delay charge but I am tight on money. Is it possible to do this with a Drilling Power tool instead or just a miniature phillips screwdriver. Thank yall

1/4" drill bit, remove 1/32" of delay per second. So, drilling down 1/8" would shorten your delay by 4 seconds.

Drilled end goes aft, otherwise enough burning delay may remain to corrode the forward closure. To decrease by 6 seconds, measure 3/16" from the tip of the bit, apply a strip of masking tape to mark the depth. Turn drill by hand until it reaches the tape. Then turn it a few more times *without* pressure, to clean out the hole.

Over thirty years ago my mentor cut all of his research delays to the same length so they'd fit the forward closure correctly, then drilled them by hand. He had a set of bits that were used only for this, with tape marking the different depths to drill.

Drilled end goes aft, otherwise enough burning delay may remain to corrode the forward closure. To decrease by 6 seconds, measure 3/16" from the tip of the bit, apply a strip of masking tape to mark the depth. Turn drill by hand until it reaches the tape. Then turn it a few more times *without* pressure, to clean out the hole.

Over thirty years ago my mentor cut all of his research delays to the same length so they'd fit the forward closure correctly, then drilled them by hand. He had a set of bits that were used only for this, with tape marking the different depths to drill.
Thank you for the advice!

Back