Opinions on RoadRunner SU Motors?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You do realize on the engine recomendation charts on Tim's kit pages, everything that can use a roadrunner motor it says in the comment colum it says "quiet motor" I have never seen a RR motor fire in real life but just from the picture that the excitment wouldve been less on the RR motor, but there is one thing that should be noted, RR motors are competition motors, the F60 and the G80 motors are compleatly reseved for the TRAC teams, before you guys say anything, please excuse the poor spelling :D
RoadRunner is a small company and at certain times of the year they run low on inventory, All 4 motors are usually available, however this year RoadRunner wanted to make sure that TARC teams could get the F60 and G80 so they were hard to come by for a few months.

PS. SD. TRF has spell checker, and it's easy to use. No excuses.

Bob

RoadRunner is a small company and at certain times of the year they run low on inventory, All 4 motors are usually available, however this year RoadRunner wanted to make sure that TARC teams could get the F60 and G80 so they were hard to come by for a few months.

Bob
TRF has a spell checker?

That's interesting. I never noticed before. I use Firefox though, which has a built in spellcheck, so it doesn't matter much.

Bob

Ohh, that makes sence, and just wondering, is there anywhere else that you can get these motors besides RR directly?

Ps. So NoW you tell me :D I thought it was safari doing it, is it the whole right click and it will spell check?

All 4 motors are usually available, however this year RoadRunner wanted to make sure that TARC teams could get the F60 and G80 so they were hard to come by for a few months.

Bob,

Unless Bob K has changed his policies, he only ships the F's and G's to his dealers and to the TARC teams (with a minmum order of 10 of any one size) because of the HAZMAT shipping hassle. But, you're right - this last spring, you couldn't find an F-60 for a 4-pound steak dinner if you tried (the G's were not legal for this year's TARC contest). I even wound up giving up the last of my stash of F-60's to one of the other local TARC teams.

Wayne

Unless Bob K has changed his policies, he only ships the F's and G's to his dealers and to the TARC teams (with a minmum order of 10 of any one size) because of the HAZMAT shipping hassle. But, you're right - this last spring, you couldn't find an F-60 for a 4-pound steak dinner if you tried (the G's were not legal for this year's TARC contest). I even wound up giving up the last of my stash of F-60's to one of the other local TARC teams.

Interesting. I happen to have about 10 of the F-60s....

-Kevin

Bob,

Wayne
CMASS has a member/dealer so availablility hasn't been an issue.

Bob

Interesting. I happen to have about 10 of the F-60s....

Unfortunately, the team that was jonesing for the F-60's didn't make the finals, else somebody probbly would have gladly driven up to Nebraska to make you a deal! :roll:

Now, with the availability of the Pro-29 series hardware and motors, Bob's motors (all 29mm SU's) will have a bit of competition,I think.

Now, with the availability of the Pro-29 series hardware and motors, Bob's motors (all 29mm SU's) will have a bit of competition,I think.

For teams interested in making a hardware investment, sure. But for most teams, I suspect they'll prefer the ease and convenience of SU motors.

Unless a team has a fair amount of rocketry experience, I'd discourage reloadables -- it's just one more thing to master, and often times, the kids are already having to learn a fair amount. Removing a variable is a good thing.

-Kevin

For teams interested in making a hardware investment, sure. But for most teams, I suspect they'll prefer the ease and convenience of SU motors.

Unless a team has a fair amount of rocketry experience, I'd discourage reloadables -- it's just one more thing to master, and often times, the kids are already having to learn a fair amount. Removing a variable is a good thing.

-Kevin

I have to somewhat disagree with you here Kevin.

Pro29 cases aren't that expensive, and the reloads take very little skill or time to assemble. They are much closer to a single use motor for convenience than they are to an AT reload, at least in my opinion. The accurate, adjustable delays are nice too.

My problem with the RR SU motors is their extremely LIMITED availability.
I would like to sample a wider cross-section of brands other than Aerotech, but I'm not going to be bothered with "Well you have to buy them at "such-and-such" launch or "Well, we only sell those to certain groups" baloney.:bang:

Having had a couple of teams that tried to use AT reloadables, I'd agree with you if we were talking about them. But, I'd have no problem with any of my teams wanting to use the CTI Pro-29 system for the reasons CJL mentioned. Plus, the availability of the reloads from multiple sources eliminate the problem you MIGHT have if you didn't order enough Roadrunners early in the contest.

The problem being, of course, is that a team that is working on the first part of the contest probably isn't going to order enough motors to satisfy their requirements if they make the finals, or at least that's been my experience. With the CTI reloads, that's less of a problem.

Back