Opinions About U.S. Rockets (USR)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh wait a minute 16 oz per yard ^2!!! time to stay away from PML's site for a while, I am thinking about building a rocket I dubbed "tank ammo" but out of curiousity how DO you fiberglass an airframe?
I have outlined the entire procedure for you in the new thread that you just started regarding that very question.

Mark K.

Do I have to do all of the heavy lifting in Scrappy Doo's threads?

No....

But you seem willing to. Let the scrapster build some rockets and ask some questions as the build goes on.

There seems to be way too much "how do I" posting in general these days instead of "hey I tried this; how about a little discussion on it." At least for my taste.

No....

But you seem willing to. Let the scrapster build some rockets and ask some questions as the build goes on.

There seems to be way too much "how do I" posting in general these days instead of "hey I tried this; how about a little discussion on it." At least for my taste.

One of these days i'm gonna run out of question ya know.......:D

One of these days i'm gonna run out of question ya know.......:D

These should answer all of the questions you really NEED to know for the foreseeable future

1. https://www.apogeerockets.com/design_book.asp

2. https://www.apogeerockets.com/Modern_hpr.asp

3. https://www.apogeerockets.com/Seize_the_Sky.asp

4. https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471472425/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

And just because they are really great books, I would add

A. https://www.apogeerockets.com/spaceship_handbook.asp

B https://www.arapress.com/rotw.php

Last edited by a moderator:
'Cause everyone else has him on "ignore."

I used to do this to Ben BTW. Now he actually adds some decent stuff.

Speak for yourself, I block nobody. There's another young gentleman here that was publicly pillaried in a thread until I fired a broadside and got the thread locked and I'm not passed doing it again, trust me.

I'm a father and I feel a damned good one and one thing I do is answer questions, no matter how foolish they might be. How else they going to learn? I feel a responsibility to help anyone I can. I don't know where it comes from but there it is. Maybe I have more patience and tolerance than some, I don't know.

People around here talk about "paying forward", THIS is what the term means:rolleyes:

Dip the airframe in a bucket of resin, then roll it in fiberglass.

Sorry guys.....I just couldn't resist any longer after the 16 oz. question. Spank me.

Huh? I'm sorry what was the question...:pop:

As for USR, from what I've heard over the years, the person in question is extremely knowledgeable in this field, perhaps could've even been a pioneer of sorts, but had an ego and stubborness (for a lack of better words) that ultimately led to his being so disliked and controversial. I may be way off base...

I do agree, though, that I applaud him for not taking money and failing to deliver.

"I do agree, though, that I applaud him for not taking money and failing to deliver, ANYMORE."

(there, I fixed it for you.). :)

He ruined his and USR's reputation enough times over the years (check out RMR posts in the 1990's if you have nothing else better to do). Every couple of years he’d sucker in a new flock who did not believe the warnings from others. But when he failed to deliver on RMR T-shirts , and ticked off enough former “true believers” (Like Foxeye), that finally forced him into the “order now, MAYBE get something eventually and if so, then pay for it” process. Because nobody in their right mind would send him money first, anymore.

Sorry, but I had to point out those facts in light of him being “applauded” for being forced into a payment scheme where he can’t rip people off like he used to. He absolutely did not go into that scheme for payment out of the goodness of his heart.

Moreover, since he went to that scheme, a lot of people had mentioned they’d made orders and not gotten anything. Well, great, this didn't’ rip anyone off by not taking the money up front. But this is a hobby where the idea is you order something because you kind of want to get it in some reasonable time to actually do something with it. If I order a rocket from Semroc for a launch I’d want to fly it at in a month, should I be satisfied and applaud Semroc if they did not charge me until they delivered that kit next February? Or never delivered the kit but it’s “OK” because I wasn’t charged and I waited and waited ?

The USR method is sort of the exact opposite of Semroc, where if you order from Semroc today (mid-day) and you might actually GET your Semroc order tomorrow. Or at least you know you’ll get it darned soon. With USR, people could be waiting months, or more? And either it took a very long time, or they never got it at all. Sounds like more recently, not at all.

Don’t I recall some promised USR “Prize” for some major event in more recent years that USR never delivered on? I think some other dealer stepped in instead.

- George Gassaway

No....

Smart people in this hobby learn where to find the information.

Mark K.

"I do agree, though, that I applaud him for not taking money and failing to deliver, ANYMORE."

(there, I fixed it for you.). :)

He ruined his and USR's reputation enough times over the years (check out RMR posts in the 1990's if you have nothing else better to do). Every couple of years he’d sucker in a new flock who did not believe the warnings from others. But when he failed to deliver on RMR T-shirts , and ticked off enough former “true believers” (Like Foxeye), that finally forced him into the “order now, MAYBE get something eventually and if so, then pay for it” process. Because nobody in their right mind would send him money first, anymore.

Sorry, but I had to point out those facts in light of him being “applauded” for being forced into a payment scheme where he can’t rip people off like he used to. He absolutely did not go into that scheme for payment out of the goodness of his heart.

Moreover, since he went to that scheme, a lot of people had mentioned they’d made orders and not gotten anything. Well, great, this didn't’ rip anyone off by not taking the money up front. But this is a hobby where the idea is you order something because you kind of want to get it in some reasonable time to actually do something with it. If I order a rocket from Semroc for a launch I’d want to fly it at in a month, should I be satisfied and applaud Semroc if they did not charge me until they delivered that kit next February? Or never delivered the kit but it’s “OK” because I wasn’t charged and I waited and waited ?

The USR method is sort of the exact opposite of Semroc, where if you order from Semroc today (mid-day) and you might actually GET your Semroc order tomorrow. Or at least you know you’ll get it darned soon. With USR, people could be waiting months, or more? And either it took a very long time, or they never got it at all. Sounds like more recently, not at all.

Don’t I recall some promised USR “Prize” for some major event in more recent years that USR never delivered on? I think some other dealer stepped in instead.

- George Gassaway

As I said in the beginning, I spoke only of MY experience.

I have had a few (let me emphasize FEW) rocket orders where I paid and never got the goods.

I don't like the USR system but its better than the ones where I lost money.

I have never lost money or got a raw deal on any rocket order that I have ever placed, going right back to 1967. But I have always ordered only from vendors who had gold-plated reputations (which, fortunately, is nearly all of them). It's pretty easy to avoid the bad ones because we have so many good ones that we can patronize. :) If you are unfamiliar with someone, though, it's OK to ask the forum for opinions.

Mark K.

Last edited:
IBut I have always ordered only from vendors who had gold-plated reputations (which, fortunately, is nearly all of them).

Mark K.

And that is one of the true miracles of this hobby.

Almost all of them are good ones and most of them are great ones.:cheers:

- George Gassaway

There may be others but I was one. Another dealer did offer to step in but I didn't think he should have to pay for Jerry's lack of honesty. Jerry was not happy when I pointed people on RP to that thread on RMR.

How else they going to learn?

Very simple. The person could/should put the effort in to do the background learning and research. Relevant questions after that point are welcomed. If it is clear that little/no effort is put in to learning on their own after the person is given the suggestion many times over, then it becomes obvious that answering their questions is futile so they get "blocked."

There is a reason why the Chinese proverb says, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

BTW, I spend enormous amounts of time (energy and patience) with my children teaching (helping my wife with homeschooling) and counseling them--do it to this day even though they are out of the home. I also volunteer to educate and put on workshops for local elementary and middle-school kids about rocketry. Even so, my "sanity check" on their behavioral learning and the benefit they receive from counsel and its practical application of such still applies.

There is a reason why the Chinese proverb says, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

This might be the wrong Chinese proverb to quote in this case. Answering questions IS teaching, I'm not giving him a rocket.

It doesn't matter how many or how stupid the questions are I'll give my best answer every time AS LONG AS IT'S ABOUT ROCKETS!!! I won't be answering questions about non-relevant things but yet people come on here all the time, "what power mower should I buy" "I got a new XXXXX" ad nausium.

So you go ahead and block whoever, maybe I'll get lucky and get added to the list:shock: I'll be in some fine company I'm sure:cyclops:

The person could/should put the effort in to do the background learning and research.

Granted they could.

However, I'd also open the thought that some people may have competing demands on their time and as such may welcome a more immediate answer. I personally believe we've all been in situations where we'd like a quick answer and there's times where we have more time to do some research.

It is the right proverb. You may not be giving him something physically, but you are mentally spoonfeeding with no demonstrated learning on the part of the one being fed.

This might be the wrong Chinese proverb to quote in this case. Answering questions IS teaching, I'm not giving him a rocket.

I ordered a USR 2-stage piston stager from a vendor (I can't remember now the name) towards the end of 2009 and got the kit within about a week. I thought the price was fair and the materials are good. The kit is challenging and improvision will be needed for the second stage ignition.

Bob

I am fully aware of the....."Mixed" reputation USR has but I was just wondering if anyone has acctually had any experience buying from them withen th last Year or so, thanks alot, and please only post if you have firsthand acount or have secondhand info that can be verified thanks :)

Prevailing opinion is contained in the attached file.

View attachment naughty[1].zip

Can you post the link here?

There may be others but I was one. Another dealer did offer to step in but I didn't think he should have to pay for Jerry's lack of honesty. Jerry was not happy when I pointed people on RP to that thread on RMR.

The 12X18mm cluster should be easy to clone. And do you know where you can get a 18mm fiberglass tube? Or any fiberglass tube under 2.6" for that matter

this, as any other clone, can only be cloned with proper patterns .

if it is not the EXACT fin patterns and lengths, etc - it;s not a clone, but just another cluster bird.

as for the 18mm tubing, I;ve never seen G12, but I have some phenilic 18mm motor tubing ( XX phenolic as in motor casings, not spiral wound PML stuff ) .
My Lasersonics 775 clone is built from the stuff and should survive anything ( old Aerotech full E45, or Green MOnkey 18mm G motor :)

~ AL

I'm thinking a little nuclear mushroom cloud would be good here too. :shock:

I second that emotion!
:cheers:

Granted they could.

However, I'd also open the thought that some people may have competing demands on their time and as such may welcome a more immediate answer. I personally believe we've all been in situations where we'd like a quick answer and there's times where we have more time to do some research.

I'm with Troy on that one....
Sometimes it is easier to ask instead of searching the forums, and sometimes some people could put a little more effort into finding answers before asking.
However, if the question is asked in good faith with good intentions, no matter how many times it has been asked before, I feel an answer is justified. Even if it is only a link to an appropriate thread.
Maybe I am assuming too much, but I believe that TRF is a newbie friendly forum and with that comes a bit of required patients on the part of the "Old Timers". And I mean that in the most complimentary manner possible.
:D

I second that emotion!
:cheers:

I'm with Troy on that one....
Sometimes it is easier to ask instead of

searching the forums, and sometimes some people could put a little more effort into finding answers before asking.
However, if the question is asked in good faith with good intentions, no matter how many times it has been asked before, I feel an answer is justified. Even if it is only a link to an appropriate thread.
Maybe I am assuming too much, but I believe that TRF is a newbie friendly forum and with that comes a bit of required patients on the part of the "Old Timers". And I mean that in the most complimentary manner possible.
:D
Good intentions.......:dark:

Back