"Operation Sandy" Estes V-2 conversion...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Duffy

Reaction score
I had so much fun doing the White Sands "gate guard" version of the Estes V-2 that I dove right back in to start another one, this time featuring the "Operation Sandy" markings. This was a joint US Army/US Navy project to assess the viability of launching a ballistic missile from the deck of a ship at sea. The chosen launch platform was the USS Midway, and the launch on September 6, 1947, was, um, interesting. Here's a photo of the V-2 ready for launch on the deck:

Sandy launch.jpg

Here's the completed model:

IMG_2096.jpg

As before, the fins were trimmed down to scale dimensions, and simulated chain drive cover details were added. Here's a video highlighting the Sandy preparations and launch on board the Midway:

[video=youtube;EZdNif4zYOk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZdNif4zYOk[/video]

James

Very nice! I really appreciate that you are finding very different schemes for the V-2.

Maybe rig up a small barge and launch this one from the pool!:tongue:

Nice work James, it's good to see the lesser known paint schemes.

Nice work James, it's good to see the lesser known paint schemes.

Thanks for the kind words! I had hoped to fly both of my new V-2 models at the AARG launch this morning, but rain has unfortunately shut us down. I have tempered my disappointment by buying additional V-2 kits from Tower Hobbies, though, and hope to crank out a few more over the next couple of months. White Sands V-2 #43 is especially intriguing, and may be the most colorful V-2 ever:

SI-90-10076small.jpg

Note that the bottom ends of the "V"-shaped chevrons are colored yellow and fluorescent red/orange, which is a significant departure from traditional White Sands practice.

James

I'll echo what has already been said, that it's nice to see V-2's done beyond what has been done over and over again.

Very KEWL James:
Have you thought about building a scale launcher for the Sandy Project as well?
When I looked up this project some years back I thought it would be a hoot to build the model and Scale Launcher to simulate the Carrier deck launch.

I may have to look at it again...This time in Micro scale:)

Back