OpenSCAD - Importing 2D images with third party app

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
HF has the same thing:
https://www.harborfreight.com/digital-thickness-gauge-66319.html

I've got one that I was hoping to use for checking printer filament diameter, but it's so poorly repeatable in the last digit, that it was better to just use regular calipers. The resolution is 0.01mm, but the repeatability (on mine) is about +/-0.03.
Thanks. You may have gotten a flaky one which is not uncommon at Harbor Freight according to my own experience and some of the reviews for that item on Harbor Freight's site.

When looking at buyer reviews at various sites, I always look for negative review date clusters which is probably an indication of a bad lot. I've seen stuff with bad average review star counts where it's obvious that was the case with a long string of one star reviews over a certain time period. I'm not saying that that particular gauge isn't a piece of junk, just sayin' that there are a lot of reviewers that say it's highly accurate although I have no idea what their standards of "accurate" are.

A bad battery (cell) can also lead to what you're describing and even a new-out-of-the-box Chinese item can contain a bad cell. I've found that QC for Chinese button cells intended for inclusion in inexpensive items is zilch. Low cell voltage that might be adequate for apparent operation could lead to zeroing and repeatability problems.

It could be as simple as the clamping force not being strong enough. Might crack it open and try something stronger.
True, since it's only a spring which closes it. Manually bending/extending whatever type of spring they use could fix that. I'll remember that if I get a bad one.

Back