OpenRocket - Weight of Basswood?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKailas Dad

Reaction score
The one material that I'm using in OpenRocket that doesn't have a mass is basswood. I am using 1/16th for my CR's.

Does anyone know the average oz./in3 of basswood?

Thanks!

you don't make it easy :). ave density of airdried basswood; .398 g/cm^3 or (if my chypering is right) .23oz/in^3
rex

you can always over-ride the weight if you have a scale to weigh them

OpenRocket claims 0.1 oz/in^3 for balsa, that mean 1/8 balsa is about the same weight as 1/16 basswood?

So, Rex is on the numbers with his .23 oz/in^3?

I don't have a scale that accurate, as to over-ride it...

best to figure basswood approx 3x as dense so the correct response is 3/16" balsa = 1/16" basswood. problem w/ any none plywood wood is that it will tend to break more readily with the grain than against it. hence my preference for birch plywood when needed for cr's

Rex R -

No need to sweat the unit conversions...

Here is just one of the reasons to love Google... (see attached image)

many people don't know about this capability in Google - it can convert all kinds of units....

search for 100C in F ... will tell you 110C=212F

search for 0.114miles in ft, 5 angstroms in microns, 42 gallons/minute in liters/hour etc.

-Kerry

google.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of easy, I found density of woods and a density converter

.19 oz/in^3 on the low side to .34 oz/in^3 for the high, I averaged it out and got .265 oz/in^3. Yea, I'm funny like that. ;)

I know, OpenRocket is just a simulation! May as well get it as close as I can. :rolleyes:

Back