OpenRocket: transitions that aren't at the end of a body tube

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prfesser

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm designing a futuristic/oddroc around a 34" long BT-50. I was thinking of drilling three 3" styrofoam balls and gluing them to the outside--think "in-line fuel tanks"--but I doubt I can drill them sufficiently concentric, and I don't see any way to model them in OR. So then I though about making 1" long ring fins from a BT-80 and adding a conical paper transition to the BT-50, fore and aft of each BT-80.

Unfortunately it appears that the location of the transition(s) has to be at one end or the other of the BT-50; no way to specify the location elsewhere. If I try to make a transition based on the BT-80...that doesn't seem to be allowed. I could start over, making the BT-80 the main body tube, but I don't think it would allow more than one main body tube this way, so only one "tank".

Many thanks for any suggestions!
Terry

You can model styrofoam balls by splitting the body tube and inserting back-to-back ellipsoid transitions. If you're sufficiently deranged you can do something like this:
1661459360837.png

Or, in a more sober moment, this (gorgeous design courtesy of @LW Bercini):
1661459399933.png

Whatever you end up with, please post it here, it sounds fun. :)

(BTW you are correct, transitions are part of the airframe, and must be connected directly to other airframe components, and cannot "float". But you can always split the body tube and insert as needed)

A hole saw attached to a bench vice/ cordless drill combo will work for styrofoam, and it spins slow enough you won't hurt yourself. I usually model stuff in styrofoam before more permanent things. A hole saw kit at lowes was cheap, and went to 3".

A hole saw attached to a bench vice/ cordless drill combo will work for styrofoam, and it spins slow enough you won't hurt yourself. I usually model stuff in styrofoam before more permanent things. A hole saw kit at lowes was cheap, and went to 3".

You can probably run the hole saw backward to get a smoother cut and not grab the little pills.

Back