OpenRocket: Textures not rendering properly on MacOS Catalina (10.15.7)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

messedupryan

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am trying to use OpenRocket to design a paint scheme for a new rocket. I've tried to follow the post from neil_w on using textures/decals. I have attempted multiple images that I have created as well os some of the sample images from the turuotial. I am unable to get anything but a solid color to show up in the Photo Studio. The color that reneders *IS* part of my image, so it makes me think that at some level things are loading, however the behavior is nothing like what the tutorial describes.

I am opening the Rocksim .rkt that Apogee provides and just trying to add a texture. My intent is to try to add 3 vertical stripes that extend the length of the rocket, and potentially have them taper at some point. I have tried .jpg and .png images I generated in Gimp as well as some of the examples from the post (https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...-fairly-complete-tutorial.129192/post-2111617) and I am not having any luck at all.

Anyone have any advice on what I could be doing wrong, or any recommendations on how I can try to preview some basic paint schemes before I start spraying?

Screen captures would help us diagnose what's going on.

For me, generally I use a 1 pixel = 1/100 of an inch (rarely will I double or triple that). So an 18 inch body tube's decal would be 1800 pixels long. If it's a BT-60 body tube, it'd have 1.637 * Pi, and rounded to the nearest whole number (you can't have a partial pixel) makes it 514. The orientation should be vertical. Even if you want to put a single black dot on a white rocket, you'll need an image that will cover the entire surface.

Fins are another problem.

Last edited:
Pictures: helpful. ORK file: even more helpful. Can't even guess until we see them.

Oh, and be sure to save it as an ORK file, not a Rocksim file.

Oh, and be sure to save it as an ORK file, not a Rocksim file.

I can't. I tried a File -> SaveAs, then click on *.ork
1622571263537.png
File Format: doesn't change, and it stays *.rkt. I've also tried to just change the name in the Save As: and I end up with a file name that ends in .ork.rkt.

I'm trying to start with something like:

test_tube.png
1622571500972.png

and it is rendering just purple:
1622571545057.png

1) My guess is you wanted that texture rotated 90 degrees (probably clockwise).
2) You absolutely can save as an ORK file... but it's a little wonky on the Mac right now (hopefully to be fixed in next release). I have a suspicion that the fact that it is still being treated as an RKT file is related to the problem.
3) Please post the file.

If you can't save it as a .ork, you could always create a new .ork file, then copy and paste the components from the .rkt into the new file.

1. I have tried rotate the source image, and used the slider in the app to rotate it and have had no success.
2. I had a similar suspicion, and I wonder if thats causing all my heartburn.
3. Apogee Peregrine - This is the original I downloaded and opened. also attached.

Attachments

• Peregrine.rkt
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Saved it as a .ork file for you... Use this to try again. Also, I'd rotate your desired image 90 degrees. It is also easier to move fins than use the sliders to adjust the image's rotation.

Attachments

• Peregrine.ork
    2.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Interesting.

One the one hand, I too am having no luck saving this as an ORK file on my Mac, using 15.03. This is quite curious.

On the other hand, I'm having no trouble displaying the decal (running Big Sur here).

Try the file K'Tesh sent, and see if it works for you. If it still doesn't, then post the ORK file with the decal files installed and we'll look into it further.

Thanks, nice to have it as an .ork, but the behavior seems the same as it was as a .rkt. I also tried to rotate it 90 degrees (and everything from 0 - 180, and no change)
Are you rotating the image in your imaging software (gimp, paint, photoshop) or are you trying to do it in OR? You need to be doing it in the other software.

And with that, I'll have to sign out for a while.... it's 3am here in China.

Here is the ork with the test_tube.png applied to the forward tube and test_tube_90.png applied to the aft tube.
test_tube.png
1622575906500.png
Renders everything a pretty shade of purple.
1622576521928.png

Attachments

• Peregrine.ork
    7.1 KB · Views: 4
I toggled it on, closed OR, then opened it up, toyed with various settings/views and it doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference anywhere.

I’m trying to see what kind of stripe pattern I can put on this rocket they doesn’t require insane taping.

I sincerely appreciate the effort. I might spin up a windows VM and see if I can run it there, for what I want to do that should suffice.

I opened up your file in my copy of OR and it displays the stripe pattern just like as in the image Neil posted. I too am running it on Big Sur. What Mac do you have?

Back