OpenRocket 'Select a Rocket Motor' behavior

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
In 15.03 (the packaged version) - when opening a motor configuration to edit it, there are a couple of odd behaviors that can be frustrating.
1) Regardless of the existing motor configuration for that row, -if- you've previously searched for a motor while running that session of OR, that's the information that will come up.
2) If you use the Esc key to leave the motor configuration, the searched motor info will overwrite what was in the existing configuration. The Cancel button doesn't do this, just the Esc key (it's as if Esc is the same as pressing the OK button to save changes).

For example...
There's an existing H100 motor in row 1.
I click 'New Configuration' and search for a different motor and save it in row 2.
At this point, if I click to edit row 1, the new row 2 information will come up in the resulting dialog. Pressing Esc will save that in row 1.

If this has been brought up previously, I apologize.

Haven't had a chance to play with it yet to confirm and observe.

The Escape key behavior you describe is a bug as far as I'm concerned, and I will file it.

The other behavior... that is debatable. I can understand why you find it frustrating, and I can also understand why it is the way it is. I will think about it to see if there's a reasonable way to accommodate.

Thanks!

When you say 'the other behavior', you mean that it pulls up a different motor when clicking into an existing row?
The reason I'd argue that it's a bug is that you can't open the row to see configuration details (unless I'm missing something). For example, how would I pick an existing motor configuration and see what delay I'd configured it to for simulation?

The reason I'd argue that it's a bug is that you can't open the row to see configuration details (unless I'm missing something). For example, how would I pick an existing motor configuration and see what delay I'd configured it to for simulation?
Yeah, true. Problem is that the various search and filter criteria, which (as you observe) are preserved, may inhibit display of the selected motor. And totally not preserving the criteria isn't a great option either.

Frankly the whole thing needs to be rethought, but let me ponder a good solution.

Back