Openrocket -> Rocksim?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. I have been using Rocksim and am finding some vendors include only OpenRocket files for download. I really don’t want to start learning a new sim program. So, 3questions:

1) can Rocksim open an Openrocket file?
2) does anyone have a Rocksim file for Mac Performance 4” Arcas?
3) How difficult, relative to Rocksim, is Openrocket to learn?

Thanks,
Glen

CAR #245
Level 1 1997 Scratch 3”
Level 2 2021 Apogee Peregrine
Level 3 2021 Apogee Peregrine

1) can Rocksim open an Openrocket file?
2) does anyone have a Rocksim file for Mac Performance 4” Arcas?
3) How difficult, relative to Rocksim, is Openrocket to learn?
1) no, but Openrocket can open a Rocksim file.

2) Most vendors supply Rocksim files. MAC provides both, but I don't see one for the 4" Arcas in Rocksim. I loaded the ork, saved it as rkt, and attached it.

3) They're not very different IMHO, but YMMV.

Attachments

• Arcas4.rkt
    17.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Yes, but I'd be surprised if a Rocksim user would have any particular trouble learning OpenRocket. Principles are the same.
Thanks Neil:

I have a problem with openrocket—cannot get it to run on my Mac. I am building a 4” Arcas from Mac Performance, and I can find an openrocket file but not a rocksim one. since I can’t run openrocket I am kind of stuck.

have tried a few approaches to get ork working, but no joy yet.

glen

Last edited:
Yes, but I'd be surprised if a Rocksim user would have any particular trouble learning OpenRocket. Principles are the same.
Sorry, typo -- I meant to say they're not very different. I edited my post and attached the RKT converted file.

I believe you can't do pods on Open Rocket, though sometimes Rocksim chokes on them. I've also run into problems with oddities like fins with "engines" on the wings that include a nosecone that the fin splits in half - RS generally won't allow the rocket to launch in sims, sometimes it will.

The main thing I saw that RockSim had that I wish OpenRocket had was the launch visualizer. Seeing the predicted flight path is a little bit easier than fiddling around with graphs, but the graphs don’t take a really long time to figure out anyway so the difference in usability is marginal.

Welcome, another Canadian! :D

Yes, concepts are the same.. CTRL+T instead of CTRL+P, click-click-tab-click vs. click-tab-click-click...

You don't get a fancy animation with OR, but you also don't need to rent out the spare bedroom to own it.. :D

Sorry about the short answer the other day... My work week is the weekend, and I've been very tired thanks to the aches and pains of bad weather and old injuries.

With a little practice you can do amazing things with OR 15.03... Such as this:

1642433320557.png

One of these days the next update to OR is going to drop, and we'll see things like the following made possible:

1642433410315.png

Back