OpenRocket & Rocksim updates?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am aware of OR being volunteer. I totally respect all the work they do to make the program and offer it for free. I had not seen any info of any further progress on it so I thought I would ask. I also wonder about investing in RS as markoelsh mentioned above. I would like to see that thread if it can be found. I am using an old version of RS at this time (version 7) and I would love to use OR but I do not want java on my system with all the security issues. If they could make it work without java I would be using it in a heartbeat.
You can

no you can't use it without JAVA , the self-contained installer you link contain an offline install of JAVA and install it.
I posted that installer. What you say is true. The primary purpose of the self-contained installer is to solve system Java installation and update issues. The self-contained installer completely eliminates all those problems, but it does not eliminate Java per se.

We've had some debate here (at my company) about the security of such installations. The general belief here is that they're OK. The Java is not being installed as a system service (as you say, it is "offline"), and is only really available to the program that it's packaged with. If you can point me to real information that suggests otherwise, I'd like to see it. I am by no means a Java expert.

Here's a fun fact: any application you install could use an embedded Java install like this and you'll never know it unless you go digging.

Bottom line: I personally would feel completely comfortable using a packaged Java app like the one I posted. It is far down on the list of things most likely to cause me problems on my PC. You can make your own choice.

I posted that installer. What you say is true. The primary purpose of the self-contained installer is to solve system Java installation and update issues. The self-contained installer completely eliminates all those problems, but it does not eliminate Java per se.

And your work made it so easy to install.

Without ( hopefully ) getting into a beer-or-freedom holy war, "freeware" and "free software" are two entirely different things.

OpenRocket is more than a free software; it's an Open Source software

All true, but 99% of the users couldn't care less, and they use OR because it is free of cost versus $120 for RockSim. Though, I am happy to see some recent threads about users exploiting the freedom of Open Source and writing some cool plugins.

All true, but 99% of the users couldn't care less, and they use OR because it is free of cost versus $120 for RockSim. Though, I am happy to see some recent threads about users exploiting the freedom of Open Source and writing some cool plugins.

Well what do you think I means by "OpenRocket is more than a free software; it's an Open Source software" more than a free software and been an open source is exactly what give more option for developing plugins. As exemple you can't modify the code of a free software like by exemple Adobe Reader as you don't have the source , so Open Source is more than free.

With regard to Java security exploits... I'm definitely not an expert on the subject but it would seem that for the average Joe, keeping your system updated with a decent anti-virus while staying off shady websites is probably 99% of the battle.

With regard to updates, specifically OR, there has been a huge rewrite of much of the internal code over the last two years as well as a ton of new features. Takes a while to chew such a big bite so to speak. It's good that this comes up once in a while so as to hopefully prod things along a bit.

Speaking of... I haven't been attempting any debugging for over a month myself. Maybe time to jump back in.

FYI, OpenRocket has a new website: https://openrocket.info/

As far as the next release, there has been a renewed focus after a recent developer summit on Monday. They are currently putting in heavy effort to squash bugs and refine things to get the next release finished up.

Back