OpenRocket Questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Chase

Fly29mm
Reaction score
1) How do you calculate your Standard deviation and turbulence intensity found in the preferences tab of OpenRocket?
2) Is there a website that provides this information for a specific City our county?
Thank you
Brian

Attachments

• 1589379024079.png
    1589379024079.png
    171.1 KB · Views: 17
The intensity and SD are linked in OpenR (one drives the other and vice versa). As far as I know, this is just a feature that allows you to enter in some statistical variation in the wind during flight (since wind isn't constant in reality)

I usually just have a 5% setting for general purposes. You could check out Windy.com for wind data around the country (and world)

Yes, that feature copies Rocksim to add some variability to the simulation. I am not sure if it randomizes the wind continuously throughout the ascent and descent simulation, or if it picks a wind setting at the beginning of a sim and holds it constant. If you are really eager to find out, the source code is "Open."

Personally, I don't like it or use it. I want my simulations to repeat exactly when I re-run them! I am happy with a nominal result.

The intensity and SD are linked in OpenR (one drives the other and vice versa). As far as I know, this is just a feature that allows you to enter in some statistical variation in the wind during flight (since wind isn't constant in reality)

I usually just have a 5% setting for general purposes. You could check out Windy.com for wind data around the country (and world)
Thanks I got it working. Do you know where I can find an estes ascender .rkt or .ork file?

Yes, that feature copies Rocksim to add some variability to the simulation. I am not sure if it randomizes the wind continuously throughout the ascent and descent simulation, or if it picks a wind setting at the beginning of a sim and holds it constant. If you are really eager to find out, the source code is "Open."

Personally, I don't like it or use it. I want my simulations to repeat exactly when I re-run them! I am happy with a nominal result.
Buckeye
I was told by another user that it does randomize the conditions.

Back