OpenRocket: packaged installers for Windows and Mac to solve all your Java problems

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I download it from either the official website, or the package on this thread, I can't get the edit window to open for the parts. Not the top left corner dropdown, but the edit button where you edit the dimentions, ect. of the part. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks!

When I download it from either the official website, or the package on this thread, I can't get the edit window to open for the parts. Not the top left corner dropdown, but the edit button where you edit the dimentions, ect. of the part. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks!
I haven't heard of that before. What OS are you running?

So are you saying that when you select a component and then click the edit button, nothing happens at all?

Yeah, nothing at all. I'm on the most current windows 10.
I did find an old thread about this issue, but it doesn't give any clear solutions.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/openrocket-edit-button-not-working.49127/

In that particular thread, I believe the problem was that the edit dialog showed up on a second monitor that was no longer attached. Another user came along and revived it but didn't get a reply.

As far as the edit option, have you tried double clicking on a component in the component view in the upper left of the main dialog? The double click is an action which maps to the edit as well.

I have occasionally had this problem with other software. Would be good to rule it out here before we continue digging.
Yeah, I have 2 monitors, but it doesn't work when I try to do it with my laptop unplugged from my monitor either. Double clicking doesn't do anything either

If Greg's suggestion doesn't help, you may want to disable antivirus apps temporarily and try that, just to rule out some funky behavior (those AV programs can do a variety of fun). If not that, the logs might reveal something. I don't use Windows, so I may be slightly off in my command line-fu, but if you could run the following from a command line:

java -Dopenrocket.debug=True -jar OpenRocket.jar 1> openrocket.log 2>&1

You should run this in the directory containing your OpenRocket.jar file. Also note, if your OpenRocket.jar file name differs (e.g. OpenRocket-15.03.jar), then substitute the name of the jar file for OpenRocket.jar.

Run through your test, close down OpenRocket and attach the openrocket.log file.

Note: if you have a hard time getting any output in the openrocket.log file, simply run the java -Dopenrocket.debug=True -jar OpenRocket.jar and copy the contents of the console output (it will be a lot).

I uninstalled Java, rebooted, and reinstalled java, and it worked!! I had just updated java yesterday, but I talked to a friend who said sometimes when Java updates it installs a new version on top of the old version, instated of replacing it, which causes issues. Thank you guys for your help!!

I uninstalled Java, rebooted, and reinstalled java, and it worked!! I had just updated java yesterday, but I talked to a friend who said sometimes when Java updates it installs a new version on top of the old version, instated of replacing it, which causes issues. Thank you guys for your help!!

Glad to hear that you got it working. That's quite the odd issue for sure

Unfortunately, I did the step by step said here in this post, but it is not resolving, as an answer, I get this message below.

Attachments

• Problema.PNG
    Problema.PNG
    10.6 KB · Views: 24
@Luísa Click on the View Bug Report & post that here. I might help. Also, what OS are you running?
Thanks, I'm using Windows 10. Also, I have tried to fix it by selecting to troubleshoot compatibility issues.

BUG REPORT there is indexed.

Attachments

• Bug report.pdf
    97.9 KB · Views: 17
Thanks, I'm using Windows 10. Also, I have tried to fix it by selecting to troubleshoot compatibility issues.
BUG REPORT there is indexed.
Luisa, Here's what I would do. ( I did work as an IT guy for 20 years ) Download the installation package from here.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...d-mac-to-solve-all-your-java-problems.143540/
Before you install it I would go to the Control Panel/Programs and Features and uninstall Java. Also, if you installed with the above link package you should uninstall OpenRocket. If your OR package came from openrocket.info just delete the file. After the uninstalls reboot your PC. Then install the one that is linked from here on The Rocketry Forum. When you install it right click on it and choose Run as administrator. Check your Start menu and see if there is an icon for it. If not go to C:\Users\luisa\AppData\Local\OpenRocket\ and find OpenRocket.exe. Right click on it and choose Send to Desktop (create shortcut). Now you will have an OR shortcuy on your desktop. You may not see the AppData folder. If you don't see it click on view and click on Show hidden files.

Right click on the OR icon and choose Troubleshoot compatability. Click on the lower option, Troubleshoot program. In the next window choose The program worked in earlier version of Windows. Click next and choose Windows 8. In the next box that pops up click on Test the program. OR should now open. Note that it takes a bit of time.

I hope this helps. If it still doesn't work let us know what antivirus program you are using. One other thought, you are an Administrator of that PC, correct? Go into the Control Panel/User Accounts & see if you are an Administrator. Good luck!

I hope this helps. If it still doesn't work let us know what antivirus program you are using. One other thought, you are an Administrator of that PC, correct? Go into the Control Panel/User Accounts & see if you are an Administrator. Good luck!
[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, the problem don't fixed it, I receive the same message.

1594100625060.png

Also, I don't use antivirus program and yes, I am the Administrator of my PC.

@neil_w and @Greg Furtman I installed this package: https://github.com/openrocket/openr.../release-15.03/OpenRocket-15.03-installer.exe in other usuary of my computer. In this local, the program was installed and started with sucess.

I don't have idea why happened that in the other usuary, because I utilized for more than 10 months normally before this error. So, thanks for the support and pacient.
Well that is very odd, and I really have no explanation. I hope it's not too inconvenient to use it that way, at least until (?) we figure out the problem with your account.

@Luísa, I was looking at your bug report and it looks as though the error is occurring when loading your local motor database files. The problem appears to happen when reading in some of the local thrustcurves. So a couple of questions for you:
  1. To confirm, do you have local thrustcurve files? I'm not a Windows guy, but I believe it will be in one of the following for your system. You can also just search for the ThrustCurves folder:
    1. C:\Users\luisa\OpenRocket\ThrustCurves
    2. C:\Users\luisa\AppData\Local\OpenRocket\ThrustCurves
  2. Can you move the local thrustcurve files to another location and try to start up OpenRocket?
  3. Have you recently added new thrustcurve files? I can't tell which one in particular is causing the problem
I'll also comment on the bug report.

Back