OpenRocket: packaged installers for Windows and Mac to solve all your Java problems

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 3D graphics enabled as well as anti-aliasing. I tried disabling and re-enabling 3D graphics, but still no luck.

The computer I'm using was recently updated from Windows 7 to 10 and has been having internet connection issues since the upgrade. Maybe my computer isn't downloading the file properly?

I have 3D graphics enabled as well as anti-aliasing. I tried disabling and re-enabling 3D graphics, but still no luck.

The computer I'm using was recently updated from Windows 7 to 10 and has been having internet connection issues since the upgrade. Maybe my computer isn't downloading the file properly?
Leave 3D graphics enabled, but try disabling anti-aliasing. Probably will have no effect.

Downloading the file is not the issue. Sounds like a graphics driver issue. Check that your graphics drivers are up-to-date. Other than that I'm afraid I have nothing to suggest.

Actually, that makes sense. I haven't gotten a chance to download all the drivers since the O.S. upgrade, so that might be the issue. Especially since Openrocket worked just fine on this PC with Windows 7.

Actually, that makes sense. I haven't gotten a chance to download all the drivers since the O.S. upgrade, so that might be the issue. Especially since Openrocket worked just fine on this PC with Windows 7.
Is this an Intel GPU? Anecdotally I've noticed a loose correlation there

Last edited:
@manixFan

I tried looking up the graphics info per the instructions you supplied, but I cannot find a GPU 0 listed at all. This PC is one made more for office use; is it possible that I don't actually have a graphics processor at all? Things like YouTube load just fine, but I don't know about interactive things like games or 3D modeling.

no gpu.png

is it possible that I don't actually have a graphics processor at all?
If you have a monitor connected, then no. :)

Google "how to find my GPU in Windows 10" or something like that for instructions. It's almost certain that on a business machine you have an integrated Intel GPU. In general, that should not be a problem in getting OR to display the 3D views, provided that your drivers are in order.

If you have a monitor connected, then no. :).

Shows how much I understand computers.

Okay I looked up instructions on Google and got directed to look through System Information>Components>Display and was able to pull this up:
GPU I think.png

To me, it's all gobbeldygouk, but maybe you can tell if I have the wrong driver or something.

Okay I looked up instructions on Google and got directed to look through System Information>Components>Display and was able to pull this up:
View attachment 404455

To me, it's all gobbeldygouk, but maybe you can tell if I have the wrong driver or something.
You have an Intel Q45/Q43 Express Chipset as a display adapter. The last driver release from Intel for it was for Win XP. So Win 10 is prbably using some generic display driver.

Is your computer a laptop or desktop? If is a desktop you could put a different graphics card in it, something newer. If it is a laptop you're stuck with the Q45/Q43 Express.

View attachment 404455

Your drivers are too old for the GPU to show up in Task Manager. It needs to be WDDM 2.0 or greater, and you can see that yours is WDDM 1.1. Your CPU was released in 2010 so it's a decade old. With some effort, you might be able to find updated drivers for the Intel chipset but buying an inexpensive graphics card should do the trick if you're not ready for a new computer.

Tony

Last edited:
Hello I need help I'm chasing the rocksim file for a Spitfire HPR made by PML (Public Missiles). Otherwise it will prove to be quite difficult to obtain the CP (centre of pressure ). I need the Rocksim file so I can upload to my Openrocket program the complete schematics of the rocket. Without, it it's almost impossible to work out suitable motors to fly? The rate of descent, apogee etc.

Regards

Peter

Hello I need help I'm chasing the rocksim file for a Spitfire HPR made by PML (Public Missiles). Otherwise it will prove to be quite difficult to obtain the CP (centre of pressure ). I need the Rocksim file so I can upload to my Openrocket program the complete schematics of the rocket. Without, it it's almost impossible to work out suitable motors to fly? The rate of descent, apogee etc.
All PML rocksim files can be found here:
https://publicmissiles.com/rocksim_data.html

The actual rocksim file isn't available for the Spitfire High power rocket kit. I've checked on their (Public missiles) database there isn't one labeled for the Spitfire. I need to work out the CP (center of pressure) which is vital in the construction of the rocket!

Has anyone gotten open rocket to work via this methode ( as it is in the first post of this thread )
on a imac desktop running the OS Catalina ??
I did the install and now get this message when I try to open a open rocket file..

OpenRocket” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified

I know there's a way to tell the OS to bypass what blocks it from working
but I don't know how to shut it off or stop it..

Teddy

I haven't upgraded to Catalina yet so I haven't tried this:
Apparently, the workaround is quite painful:
  • In the Finder on your Mac, locate the app you want to open.
  • Control-click the app icon, then choose Open from the shortcut menu.
  • Click Open.
The app is saved as an exception to your security settings, and you can open it in the future by double-clicking it or from cli, just as you can with any authorised app.
Someone please let me know if this works; if so I'll update the original post.

Has anyone gotten open rocket to work via this methode ( as it is in the first post of this thread )
on a imac desktop running the OS Catalina ??
I did the install and now get this message when I try to open a open rocket file..

OpenRocket” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified

I know there's a way to tell the OS to bypass what blocks it from working
but I don't know how to shut it off or stop it..

Teddy
I friend of mine just bought a new MacBook with Catalina on it. He can't run a number of programs on it that involve JAVA. He likes to mess around with Aurduinos and Arduino IDE which is used to program Arduinos runs on JAVA. He tried everything & even took it to the Best Buy where he bought it and they couldn't get IDE to run on it. He kept getting the same message you are. I ended up giving him an older Lenovo ThinkPad I wasn't using after I installed Win 10 on it.

The newer Macs also have a new security chip in them, the T2 chip, which monitors everything and also makes it near impossible for anyone but Apple to repair a Mac. I call it the Terminator2 Chip. :rolleyes:

I got it..
Neil is smokin with computers.
And for sure he now knows I'm not, lol..
I right clicked it and it opened.
Then the files wouldn't open.
He had me open them in the open rocket menu on top left.
It worked.

Teddy

I got it..
It worked.

Teddy
Glad there is a work around. IMHO, Apple has become the company that they rallied against so long ago.

I got it..
It worked.

Teddy
Yeah, you can't double-click on the files and have them open the app. You have to start the app first and then open them from within the app.

Catalina is fully 64-bit and won't run older 32-bit apps. They have been telling developers for years about the change. Apple has never been afraid to break old apps in order to move forward. (They deprecated their very own Quicktime engine because it was only 32 bit.) Otherwise developers are lazy and will never bother to update apps to take advantage of new technology and security measures. Having a 32-bit app in the year 2020 is like buying standard definition DVDs. They work, but there are better technologies out there. For example, here's a post from 2013 about 32bit vs 64bit JAVA:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/17285928/jre-32bit-vs-64bit/17287289

My guess is the IDE is 32 bit and just won't run under Catalina. It's called progress, however painful it may be. One reason Windows is so hideously bloated is all the backwards compatibility built into it. At one time more than 2/3rds of the code was there just for compatibility with old software.

Tony

Yeah, you can't double-click on the files and have them open the app. You have to start the app first and then open them from within the app.
You actually should be able to do this, although for some reason it doesn't work correctly with packaged OR on the Mac. That's on the todo list for future fixing.
My guess is the IDE is 32 bit and just won't run under Catalina. It's called progress, however painful it may be. One reason Windows is so hideously bloated is all the backwards compatibility built into it. At one time more than 2/3rds of the code was there just for compatibility with old software.
No, it runs just fine, you just need to get around the initial security prompts because the packaged app is not signed with a valid developer certificate. When we release an "official" packaged build, I'm hoping we can rectify that, although I'm not yet sure what's involved.
Glad there is a work around. IMHO, Apple has become the company that they rallied against so long ago.
Not really, or at least not in this particular instance. This is all just tightened security designed to protect the user. You could certainly make a case that they went overboard in Catalina, or that the implementation is bad. It is not the reason I'm not upgrading to Catalina though.

Neil, Greg's post made it sound like they could not get the Arduino IDE software to work, which is what I was referring to, not the packaged installers. You can double click on an OpenRocket file on the Mac and have it open the JAVA wrapper, but I don't believe it can pass the file path to the embedded app, I think the path is consumed by the wrapper. At least that's what happens on my Mac.

Tony

(you can use the Finders 'get info' command to tell it what program to open for any data file, which is what I did for .ork files and OpenRocket. But it won't pass the data file path to the app.)

Oh sorry, misunderstood.

I don't know if the wrapper is swallowing the file name or what, but it is something I hope can be fixed with a new packager.

I keep my OR and Rocksim files in a folder in my Dropbox. I have OR installed on three diff computers, a Mac running Catalina, a Win 10 PC and a Linux netbook. They all run fine and I can open the files on all of them. Admittedly I always open OR first rather than just double clicking the file, but then it’s quicker to do it that way than find the file. It’s never failed or crashed in the 12 months I’ve been using it on any of my machines.
The beauty of keeping the files in a Dropbox is that recently I was at a launch in another country without my own computer and it was a cinch to use a locals computer and access my files.

I got it..
It worked.

Teddy
It's a windows pain... but if you access the same file a lot, youcan create a shortcut to openrocket, then edit the shortcut target to include the file. Then the shortcut will open the file in openrocket ok. Here is my example for the exiter rocket from mach 1. The quotes are necessary.

format for target: "path to program" "filename" assuming the file is in the same directory as the program.

"C:\Users\S\Documents\AAA Rocket Design CP Calc\OpenRocket-15.03.jar" "exiter.ork"

It's a windows pain... but if you access the same file a lot, youcan create a shortcut to openrocket, then edit the shortcut target to include the file. Then the shortcut will open the file in openrocket ok. Here is my example for the exiter rocket from mach 1. The quotes are necessary.

format for target: "path to program" "filename" assuming the file is in the same directory as the program.

"C:\Users\S\Documents\AAA Rocket Design CP Calc\OpenRocket-15.03.jar" "exiter.ork"
Same will not work for Mac.

On Windows you don't even need to do it. If you use the packaged installer then you *can* associate the ORK file type with OR and it'll open. Just install the packaged version, then double-click an ORK file, select OR to open it with, and check "always use this program to open this type of file", and you're good to go.

Back