OpenRocket: packaged installers for Windows and Mac to solve all your Java problems

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me they are one and the same.
I'll say it again: Try asking this in a new thread, and provide some (any?) details about your configuration. Other folks have definitely dealt with resolution problems before, someone should know the answer.

Thus far you given us almost no information to work with.

I am still having the same issue I was having before, was hoping this would fix it. This seemed to start after one of the windows creators updates.

Well there's one I've never seen before. Can you report exactly what Windows version you're running?

Windows 10 Pro version 1803

The only other thing I could think of is that I upgraded to a Geforce 1080 about a year ago, unfortunately I am not exactly sure when the OR problem popped up. I have done just about everything I can think of outside of a reformat.

Windows 10 Pro version 1803

The only other thing I could think of is that I upgraded to a Geforce 1080 about a year ago, unfortunately I am not exactly sure when the OR problem popped up. I have done just about everything I can think of outside of a reformat.

Thanks. I'll see if anyone on the dev list has any ideas. Yours does this with the JAR distribution as well as my packaged installer?

A solution to all these problems is to use packaged versions of the application. These install like regular applications, and include their own JRE built in. This bundled JRE will remain completely separate from your system JRE, and will only be used by OR. Therefore you do not need to have Java installed on your machine. Over the course of several months, these packaged installers have resolved every single instance of user having trouble running OR. At least that I've heard about.View attachment 332959

Niel,

Thank you!

I just dusted off OR on my newly upgraded machine and found it wouldn't run, but your version fixed all the problems.

Thanks again for doing this.

Cheers,
Jon

@neil_w: you sir, are a steely eyed missile man.. I swapped to a new mac, and Java 10.0.2 was throwing it's toys out of the cot.. This is a saver for me.. Thank you sir!

Java 10.0.2 was throwing it's toys out of the cot.
Ha, your Aussie sayings crack me up (yes, I just spent time researching this saying... possibly more British than Aussie, not sure... but I've never heard this one in the US before).

Anyway, glad the installers are still working. :)

Anyway, glad the installers are still working. :)

Yup! Just installed on an iMac Pro yesterday with no issues! Worked like a charm with High Sierra (10.13.6) and Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 18.3 (build 10.0.1+10). Thanks for keeping this wonderful piece of software viable! ;-)

So I’ve noticed one small problem - 3d view doesn’t work and won’t load textures.

I can get “3d figure” to work, but “3d unfinished” and “3d with textures” just gives me a black screen on any existing ORK files.

I can get them to work on a new file, but not with textures applied...

I’m thinking it’s a path issue maybe?

Interested in @neil_w’s take...

So I’ve noticed one small problem - 3d view doesn’t work and won’t load textures.

I can get “3d figure” to work, but “3d unfinished” and “3d with textures” just gives me a black screen on any existing ORK files.

I can get them to work on a new file, but not with textures applied...

I’m thinking it’s a path issue maybe?

Interested in @neil_w’s take...

System details? I think you're running on a Mac?

System details? I think you're running on a Mac?

@neil_w Weird Update: The black screen only happens when there is no "Mass Object" added to the NC.

In fact, if I have a mass object in the NC, I get textureless (mostly) 3d rendering, but if I delete the NC mass object, the render goes black... immediately...

Check this out:

Update: adding a parachute has the same result as an NC mass...

It's there now. I tried it from my new PC at home, but the drop box looked empty. I was able to download it from my PC at work.

I actually tried to open it on my Android tablet and it gave me a message " may harm device" So I did not install it. Is there any problem with it? I would rather have it on tablet than PC so that it is portable.

I actually tried to open it on my Android tablet and it gave me a message " may harm device" So I did not install it. Is there any problem with it? I would rather have it on tablet than PC so that it is portable.
I have no personal experience with the Android version, but I have been told that it does not allow editing designs. Not sure exactly where the functionality stops though.

Sorry not being much help here... I forwarded your "Can't find main page" issue to the developer mailing list, maybe someone there will know something.

Thanks for the packaged version of OpenRocket, Neil.

I've studiously avoided installing Java on my PC's for years but your packaged version of OR convinced me.

Now maybe I can open the Madcow Formula 54 OR file and find the Center of Pressure so I can set the CG for stable flight.

Thanks again.

Back