OpenRocket on Ubuntu: Unable to load 3d Libraries

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OZ1SEJ

Educator
Reaction score
I'm trying to run OpenRocket 15.03 from the .AppImage file on Ubuntu 20.04, and generally it works fine, but when I try to view the rocket in 3D, I get the message "Unable to load 3d Libraries: Profile GL2 is not available on X11GraphicsDevice[type .x11,connection:1, unitID 0, handle 0x0, ownerfalse, ResourceToolkitLock[obj 0x ....."

When I start the Photo Studio, I get an error that I've posted on pastebin. Any ideas?

Best regards,
Steen

Last edited:
OpenRocket 15.03 is no longer being supported/updated, all work is focusing on the new release. There are those monitoring TRF reports about problems using 15.03 and answers/assistance is provided where it can be. Bug reports related to 15.03 will likely be ignored if posted anywhere but on TRF, so please do not create issues related to 15.03 on the new release work site, doing so only distracts from the work on the new release. Please be patient as the work on the new release moves forward.

Last edited:
I'm trying to run OpenRocket 15.03 from the .AppImage file on Ubuntu 20.04, and generally it works fine, but when I try to view the rocket in 3D, I get the message "Unable to load 3d Libraries: Profile GL2 is not available on X11GraphicsDevice[type .x11,connection:1, unitID 0, handle 0x0, ownerfalse, ResourceToolkitLock[obj 0x ....."

When I start the Photo Studio, I get an error that I've posted on pastebin. Any ideas?

Steen, your problem has been sent to someone who may be able to assist you. If they can, they will contact you.

Steen, I've seen this error (the Unable to load 3d Libraries: Profile GL2 is not available on X11GraphicsDevice) on my 20.04 install as well. I was running from the unstable/development branch at the time. The only way I was able to resolve this was with a restart of the X windowing system (sadly). I should have spent more time digging into it, but never did. If that works, let me know - otherwise I may need some more information (running X or Wayland?).

tl;dr I've put up a new AppImage at https://github.com/openrocket/openrocket/releases/download/release-15.03/OpenRocket-15.03.AppImage that should fix it. Please download it and give it a spin.

The problem is definitely an issue caused by recent upgrades to the mesa libraries -- if I downgrade libgbm1, libegl-mesa0, and libgl1-mesa-dri to version 18.3.6-2+deb10u1 (stable), and install libllvm7, then 3D rendering starts working; returning to 20.1.9-1 (testing, unstable) or 20.2.0-1 (experimental) versions breaks it again. So, I've added the old versions of the libraries to the AppImage, and it works for me now.

Also note that it appears to be a bug in those libraries -- I got the error running either 15.03 or the latest unstable, so it isn't even a result of 15.03 requiring an antique version of Java.

Also note that it appears to be a bug in those libraries -- I got the error running either 15.03 or the latest unstable, so it isn't even a result of 15.03 requiring an antique version of Java.

If only there were a new stable source release of OpenRocket we could actually support in Debian and it's derivatives...

Latest posts

Back