OpenRocket on 4K screen?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Just got a new laptop with a 4K screen on it. Openrocket is really not liking it. All of the text is either super small, or covered where I can barely read it. Any settings I can change that will help with this?

I'm running Windows 10.

Thanks!

Matt

Hey everyone,
Just got a new laptop with a 4K screen on it. Openrocket is really not liking it. All of the text is either super small, or covered where I can barely read it. Any settings I can change that will help with this?

I'm running Windows 10.

Thanks!

Matt

I run into the same problem on windows 10 (bootcamp) and a 4k external monitor - haven't really figured a way around it. Occurs with some other programs as well. On the OS X side, everything looks fine though...

I think OS X is a bit more intelligent in the handling/scaling of fonts than Windows.

I am amazed that any laptop would have a 4K display. Considering the screen size it just seems complete overkill to me. A large external monitor sure, but considering the pixel size you likely need at least a 24" monitor to make it worthwhile.

a 4K screen on a laptop would presumably be running in hi-DPI mode, where everything is doubled so it looks sharper but no smaller. OS X has extremely good support for hi-DPI mode (which they call retina of course); I thought Windows 10 did it pretty wall also but maybe the support doesn't trickle all the way down to Java apps like OR. In any case I'm not all that surprised.

I would not be surprised if there isn't really a solution, but maybe you'll get lucky. Try Googling around for hi-DPI mode on WIndows with Java apps.

Just got a new Dell XPS laptop with 4K display. Having the same problem. OpenRocket is pretty much unusable. This sucks.

30472571282_d1ec3e0bdc_k.jpg

Does anybody know if Rocksim displays correctly on a 4K display?

Set screen to 1080p when using, set back to 4k when not? Should scale reasonably.

On my Mac OS/X it works fine. I did come across this link and it may solve the issue you are having.

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/windows-10-display-scaling/

Tried all that, didn't help. I think the problems is that Openrocket is Java Swing UI and Windows does not do DPI scaling on Java Swing apps because Swing is supposed to handle that. But it doesn't work correctly. Openrocket always displays at native resolution (3200x1800) and looks exactly the same regardless of what resolution is configured in Windows.

Try right click on desktop,open personalize, in lower left corner click display, change to medium or large. All apps, desk icons etc get bigger and text overlap should resolve. worked for a couple of my programs including rocksim

I've been having the exact same problem ever since I got a new 4k laptop. The best that I have discovered to at least make openrocket text legible, is to change the size of text and apps in your display settings to 125%. Yes everything on your screen will be much smaller, but the text in openrocket will be readable again.

Here is the fundamental issue in the JDK bug tracker: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8080153 . The crux is that the dpiAware setting is being forced to true for all Java apps (specifically on Windows) in the Java default manifest, which can't be overridden by command line flags. The self-executable wrapper is one way of bypassing that. A proper workaround is given in this StackOverflow article: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30555401/java-disable-dpi-aware-not-working . It is more trouble (a regedit plus dropping a couple of files into your JRE/JDK) than using the wrapped OpenRocket .exe, but it takes care of all Java programs at one go.

Back