OpenRocket motor database question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So I found some downloads from thrustcurve.org for AT, CTI, and Loki which i then dropped in to OpenRocket so i have an updated motor database. The problem is now I have duplicate motor definitions from the existing OpenRocket database. Does anyone know how to completely replace the OpenRocket motor database with thrustcurve.org data?

I think that the work around is to click the "Hide very similar thrust curves" box in the Select A Rocket Motor window when selecting motors to put in the mount in the Motors and Configuration tab, and I admit that I have no idea which motor file it would choose to keep and display.

Does anyone know how to completely replace the OpenRocket motor database with thrustcurve.org data?
As near as I can tell, the default motor list is included as part of the .jar file. Which means to replace it you have to replace that file. Download the source, add data files, and build.

The path to the thrustcurve database in the Openrocket source is:

openrocket/core/resources/datafiles/thrustcurves/thrustcurves.ser

It's in .ser format. (From the web: "SER files mostly belong to Java Development Kit by Oracle. SER files are mainly used to store serialized objects of a Java program. Serialized objects stored in SER files are saved as streams of bytes.") You'd need to make your own version of this file and then recompile. An easier solution would be to just add the motors you are actually missing and need, or use the method banzai88 mentions in post #2.

Tony

The path to the thrustcurve database in the Openrocket source is:
I find .eng and .rse files at: openrocket/core/resources-src/datafiles/thrustcurves/thrustcurve.org

How those get processed into the final file is a mystery to me. Especially since I see a lot of .eng files duplicated as .rse.

I suspect that you could build openrocket with an empty motor database and then add files locally. I find those located in ~/.openrocket/Thrustcurves

I find .eng and .rse files at: openrocket/core/resources-src/datafiles/thrustcurves/thrustcurve.org

How those get processed into the final file is a mystery to me. Especially since I see a lot of .eng files duplicated as .rse.

I suspect that you could build openrocket with an empty motor database and then add files locally. I find those located in ~/.openrocket/Thrustcurves
I realized after I posted this I was using the 'unstable' (latest build but not official) version of the Github files, not the stable version. The stable version does have the files at the location mentioned in your post. It also has the .ser file I referenced as well. The 'unstable' version does not have any of the .eng or .rse files at the location you found them. So some weirdness for sure.

The readme file in the path you list above reads:

"This directory contains manually added / modified thrust curves.
All other thrust curves are from www.thrustcurve.org
(all RASP and RSE files).

WECO_*.eng - Thrust curves for Weco Feuerwerk motors, created by Sampo N.

Klima_*.eng - Thrust curves for Klima motors, created by Leo Nutz"

Based on that text, it seems if you delete the .ser database and all the motors in that folder that should eliminate all the motors and then you can add back the ones you want in the user directory.

Tony

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back