OpenRocket GUI Glitch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sqdn84

Reaction score
Hello everybody!
I have a problem with my OpenRocket GUI. Every time I open a drop-down menu, this glitch starts, making the GUI impossible to navigate and broken in every way. The only way to fix the problem is to restart OpenRocket, but the glitch will happen again the next time I open up OpenRocket and enter a drop-down menu.

I have:
1. Reinstalled OpenRocket several times, all to different areas in the PC
2. Tried the package installer found on this forum
3. Updated my Java
4. Changed DPI settings
5. Changed display settings (I work on an ultrawide monitor, but even having my display set to 1920x1080 doesn't help at all)
and none of these things worked. I have never seen a glitch like this on any forums, and was hoping somebody could help me out. I've been having this glitch for about 8 months, and have never been able to fix it. Always having to switch to another computer/going days on end without being able to work on rocket designs due to lack of another machine really bothers me, and yet I haven't been able to find a fix.

screenshot1.png, screenshot2.png, and screenshot3.png all show the effects of the glitch.

Above is a YouTube link showing the glitch happening.

Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• screenshot1.png
    screenshot1.png
    274.1 KB · Views: 23
  • screenshot2.png
    screenshot2.png
    124.5 KB · Views: 22
  • screenshot3.png
    screenshot3.png
    140.8 KB · Views: 18
I have Java 8 Update 261, 64 bit.
Windows Edition: Windows 10 Pro. Version 1903.
I've been having the same issue
I'm using Windows 10 Pro 2004 and Java version 8 update 271

Have you found any solution?

We have 2 members in the Openrocket Facebook group who have just run into this problem. We've now started a bug report thread for it. If you have experience with this problem and would like to contribute information, please feel free to join us.
Thank you

P.S. Anyone who's interested in Openrocket is welcome to join the group.

Last edited:
Thank you Reinhard, that's good to know. But the general "feeling" is it may not be a problem with the OR code. One of our members just posted a video of what's happening to him. I think it's similar to what happened to the original poster.

It's been around quite some time, at least for me... the only way I was able to fix it on windows is to disable the d3d for java2d.

"C:\Program Files\Eclipse Adoptium\jdk-8.0.312.7-hotspot\bin\java" -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -jar OpenRocket-15.04.jar

I put this in a batch file and then use a shortcut of that to launch the app. Well I have to anyways, since I have different flavors of java installed and jdk8 isn't my primary.

Reallly wish they'd get the new version published; I had submitted a patch request some time ago to get it and the current versions running on newer jdks. :|

Can you explain the fix a little more? What does it do?

Do you have any idea what caused it in the first place?

It runs the OR jar file but includes the switch that disables the old direct 3d assistance with the java based ui components that were used to accelerate the drawing of the ui.

It may bork the 3d rendering in the tools section.. don't recall as I don't use it. Doesn't effect the 3d render in main screen though.

I don't recall except that I thought I did some searching on it several years ago and stumbled across that as an answer to some other app's problem.
Java GUI frameworks are a mess, have been a mess, and continue to be a mess. If I recall right, this is on Swing which is a bit long in the tooth and starting to be legacy at this point - however there isn't a lot of better options (meh to JavaFX) - but is used by a lot of java apps, it just has some issues like this occassionally.

Did anyone file a bug report?
We have another member at the FB group with this issue. I read through both the open and the closed issues but didn't find it. That doesn't mean it's not there somewhere.

18 months after the last post, I am just getting into it, I have downloaded 22b2, and I am having the same issue. I will troll over to GitHub to see if there is any further updates! :confused: Bummer...

18 months after the last post, I am just getting into it, I have downloaded 22b2, and I am having the same issue. I will troll over to GitHub to see if there is any further updates! :confused: Bummer...
Same issue. I run windows 10 professional 22H2 build 19045.3570 with a triple monitor setup on an NVidia GeForce RTX 3080Ti. I just went to GitHub and did not see any reference to this within BUGS.

Back