openrocket decals

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby_hamill

Reaction score
aligning up and rotating decal images can be a pita but it is worth it

Been working on a decal for the Centuri Payloader II

Enough for 1 night

work in progress

with out the 2 with the 2

payloader in progress.jpg

payloader with 2.jpg

Last edited:
aligning up and rotating decal images can be a pita but it is worth it

Been working on a decal for the Centuri Payloader II

Enough for 1 night

work in progress

with out the 2 with the 2

I just figured this out last night... it's easier to fiddle with the fins, and the launch lugs, than it is to futz around with the decals.

Looks like we were working on the same kit (I was asked about a .ork file for it back in December as someone is upscaling it to 4")... Still, different decals and paint patterns.

View attachment Centuri Payloader II (KC-20)(ca. 1969).ork

Last edited:
it was I who will be up scaling it to a 4 inch tube
I found the .org file here it seams the clear tube came in 2.5 and 3.5 lengths

I did 1 fin and split it 180 % and painted it the airframe color.
and a second fin split 180 % but painted black . As the gold payloader 2 had
2 fins the color of the body and 2 fins black

https://www.rocketreviews.com/openrocket-centuri---payloader-ii.html

Bobby

Last edited:
it was I who will be up scaling it to a 4 inch tube
I found the .org file here it seams the clear tube came in 2.5 and 3.5 lengths

I did 1 fin and split it 180 % and painted it the airframe color.
and a second fin split 180 % but painted black . As the gold payloader 2 had
2 fins the color of the body and 2 fins black

https://www.rocketreviews.com/openrocket-centuri---payloader-ii.html

Bobby

Oh, I thought I was doing it for mike2wander, he was the one who approached me about it, and I pointed him to RR.com's page. I started on the .ork right away (fresh start, I don't trust RR.com's sims much (especially when I saw that line "and were rounded ogives that can not be shown in OpenRocket."). Then I got the message that the individual was using it to proceed. So, I let it drop (besides, I was fighting a nasty case of pneumonia, and still had to go to work over the holidays).

Last edited:
K'Tesh

I saw where you had posted that you were under the weather.
Hope you get over it soon . Did not know RR.com was like that but I saw the same post you
are referring to. With that being said I may just use your .ork file if you don't mind.

Bobby

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm feeling much better. My Boss bought me some "Ganmao Qingri Keli" (whatever that is), and I'm feeling much better today. Not 100% but certainly not the -90% I was feeling like on Sunday (I felt like I had spent the day under the wheels of a bus).

Please feel free to use my file. That's what it's for.

As for rocketreviews.com, it does have some useful material, but there's no quality control on the sims. That's why I set up my OpenRocket files thread under MY name. It's got my name on it. My ambition is to inspire more people to do high quality sims. To do that I do my absolute best to make sure that my sims accurately reflect the rocket that the they are representing, and share what I've learned freely. As you may have noticed, lately I'm posting a lot of updated files, and I'll continue to do so until all of them are up to standards. I've learned a lot about how to use OR in the last couple of years, and my graphics knowledge has greatly improved. As such, I've completely moved away from using externalized "Inner tubes" for representing decals or paint (except on "clear" payload sections), and the reason for that is if Cabernut's clear parts program gets implemented at some time in the future, I should be able to change the characteristics of those tubes, and not worry about the "paint".

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

Back