OpenRocket cloud version

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John III

Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about a cloud version of open rocket that could be run on a Chromebook?

Tim VanMilligan did suggest in the virtual NARAM Maufacturer's Forum on Monday that Rocksim may head in that direction, for precisely the reason that the education market seems to be all about Chromebooks now. He did not suggest a time frame as apparently right now it's all a conceptual discussion.

The closest you can get on a chrome book is either running Crouton (Linux desktop on chromeOS) or installing Linux directly and running the Openrocket on that.

It's not terribly hard to do but can be pretty daunting if you aren't a computer person.

I don't see it happening anytime soon either, but it would be cool to have OR ported into TypeScript / HTML5, which would enable it to run in "fat client" mode as now with some tiny webserver like jetty on your own PC, or have the exact same code served up from the cloud where ChromeBooks and even mobiles could use it. It would also get things out of Java dependency hell...though at the price of entering javascript dependency purgatory.

It's almost tempting enough to start working on a dev framework for it, but I'm more interested in CFD now than doing yet another Barrowman sim.

Alternatively mindsim is free, cross platform, and portable! Though the save files are highly prone to corruption...

Since OpenRocket is a native Java app, it *should* be able to be deployed in Elastic Beanstalk on AWS so it could then be considered a web app and accessible on a standard Chromebook. Problem is that each person would need their own deployment so OpenRocket in AWS as a Service wouldn't be an easy thing. It might be possible to containerize it and make those containers available as a service but then you still have to solve the presentation layer issue....have to give that some more thought.

Sorry John, I didn't realize you super recently joined the forum and I may have gone over your head with that joke.
Mindsim is what people around here call it when some one can just look at a rocket or a soda bottle or a toilet paper tube and think "I can slap some fins on there and make that fly on a C6-3 or whatever". Corrupt files=my own bad memory to remember which engine is best or if my swing test was bad.
Some people do this well, others don't trust their own expertise and use real sims. I would say it comes down to just part of the whole creative process.

I also tried to google search for a mindsim link a few months ago so you're in good company 😋

so if mindsim is cross platform you have discovered telepathy?😀
I think that would be cloud capability. Cross platform in the sense that no two brains run the same OS. It is also hardware specific unless some one can teach a dog or pig to make rockets.

This might be off topic now.

I think that would be cloud capability. Cross platform in the sense that no two brains run the same OS. It is also hardware specific unless some one can teach a dog or pig to make rockets.

This might be off topic now.
It went off topic as soon as Rocsim was thrown in...we just went further OT. I agree with your assessment telepathy would be cloud.
Actually I like having OR on my PC, I dont care much for cloud based apps, though they are a fact of life.

Back